Abandoned

**BEGIN FLASHBACK** (ik a lot of people don't like flashback chapters but pls read cause there is some important 'lore' here 🥲)

                                            ^^

"Come, Katrina." My mother said in her thick Russian accent as she got out of the car, although her accent had faded quite a bit ever since she moved to the states.

My mother was a secret operative working within the United States and abroad, she had ties with the Russians but after finding out about their obscure regime, she decided to flee Russia and come here to the States. She soon fell in love with a man who had high ranking in the military, and they had me and my younger sister.

My name?
Katrina Mae Bourne

Although. Bourne is not my last name, that is my mothers maiden name....my real last name is my secret to behold, if it were to be revealed it could place me in a dangerous position.

I truly didn't understand where we were going or why my mother chose to bring me here to this farm. At least that's what it looked like to me, there were barns and a lovely farmhouse, I noticed some horses when we pulled up the long driveway. Honestly this place was beautiful, woods surrounded the farm and there were fields spread out beneath it for seemingly miles!

"Mother, what're we doing here?" I asked her as she walked a little ahead of me. What was strange to me was the way she was carrying herself today, even the way she spoke to me hinted that something definitely was off, did I do something wrong?

"You'll soon find out, my dear." She responded as she stopped long enough for me to come up beside her, she hooked her arm around mine in a comforting manner before we continued walking.

"I'm just confused. Like where even are we? This place is so isolated-..?" I started to dispute but as we were walking we had gone around the back of the farmhouse where in the distance there was a small pond, there were three men standing near it, looked like they were chopping wood and stacking it in a pile.

"....who are they?" I said pointing. Stopping in my tracks as my mother continued walking towards them.

"So many questions Katrina..." my mother laughed as she motioned for me to continue following her.

I'm just so confused.

As we approached, the three men turned from what they were doing to acknowledge my mother and I, one man looked to be older, around my mother's age perhaps. The other two to my surprise looked to be around my age or a little older, they both looked at me curiously.

"Elias..." my mother said as her and the man exchanged a hug.

"Natalya. How are you?" The man said.

It seemed they've known each other for awhile.

"Fair. Things could be better." My mother said with a frown, her voice tone echoed disappointment. The man nodded his head in understanding.

"Uh-..dad?"

One of the boys said as they stood closer to their father with confusion written on their faces.
Don't worry I'm just as confused as you both are.

"Boys...I want you to meet Natalya and her daughter Katrina. I used to work with Natalya back in the day." The man said before he walked closer to me.

"I'm Elias, I used to work with your mother on assignment." The man said with a welcoming smile as he put out his hand as he offered a handshake, I accepted.