Scars

After being at the range for half the morning, I decided to take a quick shower before we  all would be heading to the cafeteria for lunch and then be going our separate ways to go about our duties for the day. When we first arrived on base we all had specific tasks that were assigned to us just to keep us busy so mine were to watch over some recruits for the Task Force and make sure they were doing what they are supposed to be doing, and then my other duties are to file reports on intel and report on the recruits as well. I've honestly been pretty busy with more responsibilities after ranking up because unfortunately when you rank up you get more responsibilities......so that's fun.

After my shower I put on my uniform and mask and I decided I'd do my hair in a braided bun so that took me awhile to do which annoyed the boys cause they just wanted to go eat but that sounds like their problem.

"Question." I said as I walked from the kitchen into the area of our barracks where the beds were and where all the boys were sitting.

"Go on." Hesh answered.

"What is the point in wearing these damn things if we're just gonna take them off anyway once we get to the cafeteria?" I said frustrated as I held my mask in my hand. It never made sense to me why we have to wear them walking to places but we have been told it's fine to take them off once we've reached our destination. I guess our identities being kept so secret wasn't so secret after all.

"Probably to keep up appearances." Keegan explained.

"Just seems odd.."

"I think Merricks gone soft honestly, we've been here a few months so that does it to a person. We never use to stay in one place for too long." Logan said.

"I know we're not supposed to talk about this-.." Hesh said getting up and walking to our door, peeking out to see if anyone was nearby before slipping back inside to face all of us.

"...Why do you guys think it's taking so long to roll up Shepherd. Cause at this point, it seems we're chasing a needle in a haystack." Hesh explained as we all seemed to agree with him. It's been months that we've been here and we've barely gotten anything actionable.

"Intel seems to be the problem." Neptune spoke up.

"Well from what I've seen, Laswell and her intel officers get intel all the time...I don't know if it's useful or not but it's intel either way..." Kick also spoke up. Kick has duties that have him around a lot of the intelligence people on base so if anyone would know about it he would.

"What if Shepherd isn't who she's really after." I said as I sat on my bunk, resting my elbows on my knees as I looked to the floor.

"What do you mean?" Hesh asked.

"I mean....what if she's stalling, using Shepherd as a cover up for a greater plan to get someone else." I explained as they all looked at me like they didn't believe what I was saying.

"Like who?" Logan questioned.

"Yeah...seems a little far fetched." Kick said.

"Nothing is too far fetched in our line of work." I shook my head. "And I don't know who exactly it would be.....I'm just saying it's a possibility."

"Questioning Laswell's authority seems risky." Logan said as he looked at me with concern.

"We all know that Merrick has been concerned about it for weeks. Why shouldn't we have an opinion on it too?"

"Let's just keep this to ourselves, alright? I don't want to seek any of us getting kicked because we questioned a superior on whether they are legit on something." Hesh said.