Awake

Emilias Pov

Everything is black. I don't know what happened. My entire body hurts. Especially my stomach. Where am I? Am I alone? I don't want to be alone. Where is Leah?

"Leah?" I mumble. I move my head slightly and slowly open my eyes. I hear some beeping sounds around me. Where am I? What happened to me?

"It's okay. I'm here with you." I hear Leah's voice and then fully open my eyes. I'm in a bed. Leah is sitting next to me and is holding my hand. I grab her hand more tightly and look at her. Then I remember it. I had an accident. I'm in a hospital. I look down my body and see all the injuries that cause me so much pain. I look at Leah. She is here. She is sitting right next to me and is holding my hand. I'm not alone. For the first time ever I'm not alone in my pain.

"How do you feel?" She asks.

"Not good." I say.

"You will be okay. I will stay with you the entire time." Leah says at me. It sounds so good to hear that from her. Just her holding my hand is enough to make me forget about my pain.

"I'm sorry about your car." I say as I remember what happened. Another car crashed into me. Leah's car must be completely broken.

"Don't be silly. I don't care about the car. I care about you. I want you to be okay." She says. No one ever cared about me.

"My stomach hurts so bad." I whisper.

"I know."

"What did they do?" I ask and hope that Leah knows.

"You needed a kidney donation." She says. What? I have an organ of someone else in me. Of some stranger.

"What?" I panic.

"Chloe did it. Chloe saved you. She donated you her kidney." Leah says. So not a stranger. Chloe. Chloe did this for me? I never could have imagine someone doing something like this for me. She gave me one of her organs.

"Where is she?"

"She is in another room but she is fine." Leah tells me. I can't believe this all. A few weeks ago I didn't have anyone and now I have a best friend who donated me her kidney and an incredibly sweet woman sitting at my hospital bed holding my hand.

"I need to thank her." I say.

"She knows that. You need to get some rest."

"Do I need to stay here?" I don't want to. I want to go home. I don't want to stay here on my own. I hate hospitals.

"Yeah. I think you need to stay here for a bit." Leah says. It makes sense considering how badly I'm injured but I don't want to.

"Can you stay with me?" I ask. It sounds pathetic but I don't care. I squeeze her hand a bit. I need her. Maybe Chloe was right and I'm really in love with her.

"I don't think I can stay the night but I will visit you every day." She says. I want her here in the night. I can't sleep without her.

"I need you in the night." I say full of fear. What if I have a nightmare again and Leah won't be here to hold me afterwards?

"You can call me. If anything happens just call me. I will always be there for you." She says. She lifts up my hand in hers and places a kiss to the back of my hand. That felt incredibly good. I want her to do it again but I won't ask her to do so. I look up at her and stare into her eyes. She makes me feel like I'm falling but I know she is there to catch me. It is such a strange but so amazing feeling. Her eyes are so beautiful. Leah gently strokes my fingers. I think I should tell her what I feel. I could have died today without telling her. I don't want that. I want her to know.