Memories

Later that afternoon, the sun began to cast long shadows across the Hogwarts grounds, signalling the approach of evening. The castle's stone walls held the warmth of the day, and the tranquil stillness of the school enveloped the corridors and common rooms.

Students scattered throughout the castle, some engaged in study sessions, others practising spells in the courtyards, and a few taking leisurely strolls along the picturesque lakeside. The atmosphere was a subdued activity, a calm before the evening's events.

In this peaceful interlude, the anticipation of what had transpired earlier in the Great Hall still lingered, leaving a sense of mystery and unresolved tension that weighed on my mind.

Sitting with the four boys in the common room, I listened to James's animated rant about his Divination class. His frustration was palpable as he recounted the peculiar questions posed by the professor. I couldn't help but steal a glance at Sirius, who was wearing a mischievous smile, trying to stifle his laughter behind a hand covering his mouth.

Remus sat quietly in the opposite armchair, engrossed in a book, seemingly unaffected by James's dramatic storytelling.

"And then she asked me about my teacup!" James exclaimed, his voice filled with incredulity.

I nodded slightly, pretending to be fully engaged in the conversation while exchanging amused glances with Sirius, who couldn't hold back his laughter any longer. His laughter was infectious, and soon, we were all joining in, finding solace and camaraderie in the shared laughter that lightened the mood in our little corner of the common room.

As I stood up, the laughter in the common room still echoing in the background, I announced, "I am going to go find Lily."

The boys acknowledged my departure with nods and continued with their conversation, and I made my way out of the common room, heading off in search of my friend.

Walking towards the library, a sense of unease settled over me. It was as though there were unseen eyes watching my every move, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being followed. I quickened my pace, and the faint shuffle of footsteps behind me also sped up.

Coming to a sudden halt, I turned around, and the footsteps behind me ceased as well. My heart raced as I scanned the corridor, but there was no one in sight. The silence was deafening, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something or someone was lurking nearby.

As I pulled out my wand and prepared to defend myself, I was suddenly grabbed and pulled aside. My heart raced as I found myself face to face-with Kas, his expression filled with desperation and urgency.

"What the hell?" I demanded, trying to pull my arm from his grip.

"I need you to listen to me," He spoke

Reluctantly, I allowed Kas to explain, my wand still in hand, ready to defend myself if needed. He took a deep breath, his eyes filled with a mix of fear and desperation.

"Dess, I never wanted any of this," Kas began. "I'm being forced to work with Black and the Dark Lord. They have my family, and they're using them as leverage to make me do their bidding."

His words hung heavy in the air, and I could see the torment in his eyes as he continued. "I didn't want to hurt you, but they made it clear that if I didn't cooperate, my family would pay the price. I'm trapped, Dess. I don't know what to do."

Listening to his confession, my anger began to give way to empathy for his dire situation. I realized that he, too, was a victim in this dangerous game. We were all pawns in a much larger and more sinister scheme, and it was clear that Kas had been cornered by forces beyond his control.