An old friend called grief

I was sat in a field overlooking the sea, there was a tent behind me and a campfire crackling beside me. A large oak tree with a tyre swing towered to the right of the tent.

It was a quiet night, the stars stood out like tiny pinpricks in the night sky and the moon glowed. The only sound came from the crickets and the wind blowing through the great oak's branches.

"Hello, cariad." A voice spoke softly behind me. I stiffened.

"Mam?" I said.

I turned to face the woman stood behind me. She had long brown hair and brown eyes. Her pale skin glowed in the moonlight, and freckles dotted her face like the stars in the sky above. She wore a simple blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans. She was tall and slightly muscular; she was holding a bundle of firewood.

"Mam? Ai ti yw hwnna?" A tear traced its way down my cheek.

The woman smiled sadly. "I'm right here, caru."

I rushed forwards and tried to hug her but my arms passed right through her body. I frowned.

The woman looked down at me a tear now falling from her eye. "Mae'n ddrwg gen i."

"No, no, why are you sorry? Why can't-" I tried to hug her again but, again, my arms passed right through her. "Why?" Tears poured down my face as I stared up at the woman.

"I should've been a better mother, caru. I knew it then, but I never tried to be there for you. I was angry, angry your father left us. I promised myself I would never let anyone leave me like that again, but then I left you. I didn't realise that your father didn't just leave me, I didn't realise that you were also lonely, I didn't even try to understand that you also needed someone-"

"Mam!" I interrupted. "I don't care that you left me, you lived, that's all that matters! I can find you! We can be a family again!"

The woman smiled sadly. "No, no you can't find me."

I stared. "Why not? We can- we can be together again? It doesn't matter that you left!"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, caru. After I left, I realised what I did. I tried to go back for you, but you weren't there. Gaia was angry that I was going back on my word, she sent the monsters back, I thought they had already got to you. So, what purpose did I have?"

"No. No, you didn't..." I trailed off.

The woman nodded. "I hope you can understand, I have been watching over you since I found out that you got away." She smiled as another tear traced its way down her cheek. "I'm so proud of you."

She reached down in an attempt to wipe away my tears but her hand passed through my head, leaving me with a cold feeling where her hand had been.

She sighed but smiled. "Rwy'n dy garu di."

My surroundings began to swirl and distort. My eyes widened. "No! Mam, please! Don't leave!

My surroundings faded to black.

Hi, so I'm sad, so I decided to make it Wattpad's problem. By the way they are speaking in Welsh, since Anwen and her mother are both Welsh.

I'm going to comment what it all means but just so everyone knows, caru means love.

I don't even know if this is well written, I tend to lower my standards for my writing when I'm feeling sad. I'm posting it anyway tho.

It's pretty short, believe me I know, but I'm going to do a proper update soon. This is a dream Anwen has when she's unconscious by the way, if you haven't guessed already.

I'll come back to this when I'm feeling a bit better and probably make it a little better, the chapter name also needs work but right now I need to binge watch something on Netflix (I'm probably gonna end up reading depressing fanfiction).

I hope you are all having a good day and if not then I hope reading this made you feel better, even just a tad.

Although it is just quite sad so that's unlikely, but I can still hope.

Bye from Corgi :)

P.S. (feel free to skip) Just a reminder that all characters (apart from Anwen (and I guess her mum)) belong to Rick Riordan, this is merely a fanfiction based off the Heroes of Olympus series.