I guess shopping can make you violent

Leo got distracted on the second floor with the appliances.

"No way," he said. "Is that an armoured forge?"

Before we could stop him, he hopped off the escalator and ran over to a big oval oven, which looked like a barbecue on steroids.

When we caught up with him, the princess said, "You have good taste. This is the H-2000, designed by Hephaestus himself. Hot enough to melt Celestial bronze or Imperial gold."

Jason flinched as if he recognised the term. "Imperial gold?"

The princess nodded. Yes, my dear. Like that weapon so cleverly concealed in your pocket. To be properly forged, Imperial gold had to be consecrated in the Temple of Jupiter on Capitoline Hill in Rome. Quite a powerful and rare metal, but, like the Roman emperors, quite volatile. Be sure to never break that blade..." She smiled pleasantly. I saw Jason frowning. "Rome was after my time, of course, but I do hear stories. And now over here – this golden throne is one of my finest luxury items. Hephaestus made it as a punishment for his mother, Hera. Sit in it and you'll immediately be trapped."

Leo apparently took that as an order. He began walking towards it in a trance.

"Leo, don't!" Piper warned.

He blinked. "How much for both?"

"Oh, my lord." I muttered, slapping a hand to my forehead. "I'm actually gonna go insane."

The woman smiled at Leo. "Oh, the seat I could let you have for five great deeds. The forge, seven years of servitude. And for only a bit of your strength –" She led Leo into another section of the shop, giving him prices on various items.

"These prices are rip-offs." I said.

"I think they're fine." Jason said, dazed. I rolled my eyes.

"Well of course you would! Your being charmspoken, idiot." I said. "The lady died like three thousand years ago -"

"No, she seems nice." Jason interrupted.

Piper sighed. Then slapped him across the face.

"Ow." Jason muttered. "What was that for."

"It was for you to wake up!" Piper said. "Now snap out of it!"

"Do you think she exercised her face muscles when she was dead? There is no way she can smile for that long and not get a sore face." I said, frowning. "And what did she mean when she said consecrated?"

Piper glared at me. "We have bigger problems – "

"Children." The princess was back with Leo in tow. "If you please, we will now see what you came for. That is what you want, yes?"

Piper looked like she was about to scream. Either that or attack the lady, which wasn't the best idea since I wasn't entirely sure that Leo and Jason would take our side.

We took the escalator down to the base of the fountain. For the first time I noticed two large bronze sundials – each about the size of a trampoline – inlaid on the marble tile floor to the north and south of the fountain. The gilded oversized canary cages stood to the east and west, and the furthest one held the storm spirits. They were so densely packed, spinning around like a super-concentrated tornado, that I couldn't tell how many there were – dozens, at least.

"Hey," Leo said, "Coach Hedge looks okay!"

We ran to the nearest canary cage. He seemed to be frozen mid-shout; his club raised above his head. His curly hair was sticking up at odd angles.

"Yes." The princess said. "I always keep my wares in good condition –"

"Ok, listen here lady. He is not one of your wares –"