10. Swinging

"You missed all the excitement, JOffrey was such a baby." Evie decided. Jaime laughed out.

"I missed you too, Evie." Jaime countered.

"RIght, right," Evie agreed hugging him. She moved up to the throne taking a seat.

"You look good up there." Jaime informed her.

"Thank you." Evie agreed. "I know." Jaime chuckled moving beside her.

"You ever thing about it?"

"Do you? YOu sat here once, mother said you could have been king."

"I wouldnt know what to do with that sort of power." Jaime countered. Evie got up and gestured for him to take a seat. "If you insist." He sighed as he settled on it. "Lovely."

"I look better." Evie assured.

"You do but i like this spot." Jaime admitted

"You look better than father." Evie assured. Jaime smiled down at her when he heard footsteps approaching.  ''Thank the gods you were here stark.'' Jaime said getting up from the throne. Evie took his place smiling back at Ned, 'it's about time we had some stern northern leader ship'

'Glad to see you are protecting throne,' Ned said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Ned looked evie over again. She smiled innocently but her eyes held danger.

'Sturdy old thing. How many kings houses have posted it I wonder...' Jaime looked him over a smug look on his face. 'I heard there was trouble on the kings road. Evie was telling me about. Such a shame."

'Very handsome armor' Ned noted instead 'not a scratch on it.'

"Uncle jaime is a skilled fighter." Evie added. Ned looked st her up there and she looked like she belonged.

'well people have been swinging at me for years but they always seem to miss.' Jaime informed him.

'You've chosen your opponents wisely then.' ned remarked turning his gaze sharply to jaime.

'I have a knack for it,' Jaime assured him, the men stared each other down, assessing the other. Evie rolled her eyes. Men and their pissing matches. She would never understand. 'it must be strange for you coming into this room...' Jaime noted 'standing right here where it went down, you're very brave your father too, he didn't deserve to die like that. Nobody deserves to die like that-'

'You just stood there and watched' Ned remembered. Evie remained quiet. No one liked to talk of that day. The day the mad king went truly mad.

'500 men just stood there and watched' Jaime corrected. Evie knew her uncle was there. Was assigned to the guard against his wishes. And forced to watch everything unfold. 'all the great knights of the seven kingdoms and you think anyone said a word, lifted a finger? No one...  500 men and this room was silent as a crypt except for the screams of course. And the mad king laughing. And I watched the mad king die.' Jaime informed Ned.  'I remember him laughing as your father burned,' Jaime went on 'it felt like justice.'' Evie wished she was alive back then to see it through. See the damage see their victory. See her father when he wasnt a whoring drunken man. See him as a brave and handsome warrior.

'Is that what you tell yourself at night? You are a servant of justice, that you were avenging my father when you stabbed your sword in the Targaryen's back?' Ned questioned.

'Tell me if I stab the mad king in the belly instead of the back would you like me more?' Jaime questioned with a smug grin. Evie chuckled. She knew her uncle was a man of honor. He tried to be at least. He was a different man. It was almost 20 years ago that everything went down. It was hard to think of a time before robert held the throne.

'You served him well,' Ned told him 'when serving was safe.' Ned pushed past him, he had work to do.

"Well you pissed him off quickly." Evie remarked.

"It's a skill." Jaime agreed.

"Oh i forgot im mad at you." Evie added

"Me? What did I do?" Jaime questioned.

"You tried to steal gendry away from me." Evie answered.

"Yes. I know. But it wasnt you. It was sansa he wanted away from." Jaime assured.

"She is such a bitch. You know the moment gendry was gone she was doting over joffrey like he was heaven sent." Evie scoffed. "Her father has honor but he didnt pass it down to his daughter, clearly."