12. Little Bird

''Someday your husband will sit there and you will sit by his side. And one day, before too long, you will present your son to the court. All the lords of Westeros will gather here to see the little prince..." Septa Mordane told Sansa

''What if I have a girl?'' sanas countered

''Gods be good, you'll have boys and girls and plenty of them.' Septa Mordane said hopefully.

''What if I only have girls?'' Sansa asked again.

''I wouldn't worry about that.''

''Jeyne Poole's mother had five children, all of them girls.'' Sansa informed her.

''Yes, but it's highly unlikely.'' Septa Mordane informed her.

''But what if?''

'''If you only had girls, I suppose the throne would pass to Prince Gendrys little brother.''

''And everyone would hate me.'' Sansa declared worry filled her.

''Nobody could ever hate you.''

''Joffrey does." Sansa corrected. "Gendry surely will, the siblings are close! My life is over!" Evie did too, she hated sansa. She hated that Sansa would marry Gendry one day and Evie had no control over that.

Evie glanced their way as she passed with her drink brought up to her lips. Neither of the women noticed evie. They were both to caught uo in sansas drama.

''Nonsense

''Nonsense. Why would you say such a thing? That business with the wolves? I've told you a hundred times... A direwolf is not...''

''Please shut up about it.'' Sansa spat. "Gendry ran away from me just yesterday!"

"Im sure he wasnt running away."  Septa continued to try and soothe her.

" he was by my side, and then he was sprinting away sprinting I tell you!" Sansa shouted. " my life is over my future husband hates me already!"

''Do you remember your lessons? Who built the Iron Throne?" Septa Mordane countered sansa huffed a breath.

"Aegon the Conqueror." Sansa answered

''And who built the Red Keep?''

''Maegor the Cruel''.

''And how many years did it take to build...''

''My grandfather and uncle were murdered here, weren't they?" Sansa realized. Evie stared back at them.

This is the room you will die if you dare think about going through with that idiotic union to my beloved brother, evie wanted to scream and pull sansas hair. And shove her out the window. Yes. That sounded like fun.

''They were killed on the orders of King Aerys, yes."

''The Mad King.'' Sansa corrected.

''Commonly known as the Mad King.' she agreed

''Why were they killed?'' Sansa asked

''You should be speak to your father about these matters."

''I don't want to speak to my father, ever.''

''You will find it in your heart to forgive your father.''

''No, I won't.'' Sansa said bitterly.

Ah a weak spot. Evie loved those. Sansa wanted to steal gendry and hated her own handsome father. Evie smirked. She could turn everyone against sansa well enough. Then ned, dear ned would have no choice but to send sansa home. Far far away.

+

"What is ned up to?" Evie questioned falling into step with Petyr. He smiled back at her.

"I dont know what you mean," He countered.

"Yes you do, dont play dumb, Petyr." Evie insisted. "It doesnt look good on you, little bird." Petyr chuckled. Evie grabbed his arm and he turned his face to her as to whisper in her ear.

"He's looking into Jon Arryn's death." Petyr admitted. "But you already knew that." He realized.

"Thank you for your candor." Evie agreed.

'I hear you're reading a boring book.'' Petyr remarked coming up to Ned in the courtyard. Ned looked to evie at his side.

''Pycelle talks too much.'' Ned grumbled. "Hello princess."

''He never stops talking." Evie agreed. "I will leave you boys to it," she added. "Lets talk again soon Petyr."

"I look forward to it." Petyr agreed. He noticed neds stare as evie walked away. It was hard not to noticed Genevieve Baratheon. Impossible not to noticed in the tight, thin dresses she liked to wear.

''Do you know Ser Hugh of the Vale?" Petyr asked, neds gaze and attention veered off of Evie before he looked to petyr and shook his head. ''Not surprising. Until recently, he was only a squire... Jon Arryn's squire. He was knighted almost immediately after his master's untimely death.''

''Knighted for what? Why are you telling me this?''

''I promised Cat that I'd help you.''

''Where is Ser Hugh? I'll speak to him.'' Ned countered

''A singularly bad idea.'' Petyr assured him ''Do you see that boy there? One of Varys's little birds. The Spider has taken a great interest in your comings and goings.' Petyr nodded discreetly through the gardens as they moved. ''Now look there. That one belongs to the Queen. And do you see that Septa pretending to read her book?''

''Varys or the Queen?'' Ned mused

"No. She's one of mine." Petyr corrected. Petyr left out the part where evie had her own spies. But much like cersei she preferred to call them her flock. ''Is there someone in your service whom you trust completely?''

''Yes.'' Ned answered immediately.

''The wiser answer was no, my Lord.'' Petyr informed him. ''Get a message to this paragon of yours... Discreetly. Send him to question Ser Hugh. After that, you might want him to visit a certain armorer in the city. He lives in a large house at the top of the street of Steel.''

''Why?''

''I have my observers, as I said, and it's possible that they saw Lord Arryn visit this armorer several times in the weeks before his death.'' Petyr informed him kindly. He knew what Jon Arryn was looking into and although it was an interesting bit of information it didnt change the line of succession. Joffrey and the youngest being what they are well that was unfortunate news but Gendry would be king.

''Lord Baelish, perhaps I was wrong to distrust you.'' Ned remarked.

''Distrusting me was the wisest thing you've done since you climbed off your horse.''