Chapter- 9 An Oath

We drove to the outskirts of Tagawa district. In the middle of nowhere was a traditional Minka house. It was my first time seeing a huge traditional Japanese house. It's truly simple yet magnificent at the same time. When we stepped outside the car, a pile of men in black suits, divided in two groups, fell in line and greeted us in unison.
" Welcome back Boss! Thank you for your hard work." Although I saw this in a few Japanese movies, it was still shocking to experience it first hand. It's amazing how they follow this kind of tradition even in modern days. It's kind of nostalgic, like experiencing a historical time.
" Is everything alright while I am away?" Mr. Minamoto asked and a young man came and bowed his head.
" Boss, Akemi-san is having a problem right now."
" Mari-chan is already awake?"
" Yes, boss." The guy affirmed.
We headed inside the house and I just followed behind. We walk deep inside a wraparound veranda or (Engawa) primary hallway. When we were about to reach the end, I heard a loud cry of a child. Mr. Minamoto opened the sliding door connecting to another sliding door where I heard the voice of an older lady trying to appease the child. When we slid inside the shõji (sliding door), I saw a frightened little girl, her eyes and nose were red and snot and tears were all over her face.
" Mari-chan Otōsan is back." My head snapped and gazed at him with utter shock. I didn't know he had a child and, to sum it up, she's still a little girl around four or five years old!
" Mama!" The little girl stood up and ran in my direction. She hugged me tight like her life depended on it. She was saying something in Japanese but I couldn't understand it at all.
" Ah shit! I'm beat. She thought of you as her mother Hana-chan." He instructed everyone to leave the room. It was only I, the little girl and the goddamn father who was left alone.
"Shush, I'm sorry I'm not your mom, can you tell us why you are crying?" Kids are my weakness. I don't have the heart to push or ignore a crying child.
" Do you want some candy? I got candy here in my bag." I sat on the tatami floor searching for the small box of sweet milky candy. The little girl  was still hugging me but I didn't mind it at all. When I found the candy box, I opened one right away.
" Mr. Minamoto, can you ask her if she wants candy?" When he gently spoke to his daughter, I felt like I was seeing a completely different person in front of me. The little girl got quite down and eventually looked up to me. My heart twinges. I feel so sorry for the child's state right now. I grabbed some wet wipes from my bag and slowly cleaned her face. Then I gave her the candy and motioned for her to eat it. She still looked frightened but took the candy in my hand and brought it into her mouth. Still hesitating, she glanced back at me and I gave her a gentle smile. Finally, she ate it and a few seconds later she said,
" Oishi!" I sigh in relief that she eventually calms down.
To my surprise, I felt Mr. Minamoto's strong arm hugged me from behind.
" Hana-chan, why are you so good at everything?" I felt his warm breathing on my neck when he placed a kiss on it. Then he rested his forehead on my shoulder like he was at a loss for words. I wanted to elbow him but I held myself, worrying that his daughter would cry again.
" You didn't say anything about being a father." I spoke while gently brushing the girl's smooth silky black hair.
" I only knew I had a child 3 weeks ago, exactly the day we were supposed to meet." He confessed.
" Did you do a proper investigation?"
" Yeah, The result of the DNA paternity test is 99.9 percent." I closed my eyes and calmed myself down. So that's the reason why his schedule was changed and his weeks' absence was probably to figure out how to solve this mess. I don't know what else to say in this kind of situation. I'm stuck with him whether I like it or not. This is not some kind of romance novel where the bad guy falls head over hill in love with the female protagonist and his background is a clean slate. This is reality right in front of me. When I think about my son, I wonder what he would say if he found this out.
" Yorimitsu." I called his name, which made him lift his head. I stared at him and spoke again.
" I must have owed you a huge debt in my first life, but I'm stuck with you from today on and to the future days ahead of us. Just know that we are equal. You're not above me nor was I below you. You got that?" I grabbed his perfectly ironed shirt while saying those words to him.
" I want you to engrave those thoughts in your head. Do you understand Yorimitsu?" He looked surprised for a moment before he gently smiled at me. He cupped both my cheeks and kissed my lips. It was brief yet passionate enough to make my heart thump.
" I swear, I'll make you the happiest woman for the rest of my life." He said, making an oath.
" I will perform a yubitsume (amputating a little finger to atone for their mistake or pay off a debt.) if I ever make you cry." He added, looking way too serious. I can sense the sincerity through his eyes conveyed in his words. It was all I wanted to see to push myself further.
Our little moment was interrupted by the knock on the sliding door.
" Minamoto-sama, I brought food for lady Mari-sama."
" Please come in,  Akemi-san." The older lady came inside and placed the food on the table. I looked at the time and it was already past 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Minamoto asks his daughter to come sit with him, but Mari refuses to follow him. He looked very disappointed and hopeless in front of us. It's another genuine expression I discovered from him.
" Hana-chan please help me." He pleaded, which almost made me crack and laugh. I mean, my first impression of him was that he had a messed-up personality. Manipulative and calculative in a well mannered way. It's like he has a switch inside his head. One moment, he's all smiling but it could change in a blink if I say something he doesn't like. He's an extremely mysterious person.
When I stood up and sat next to the table, little Mari also moved and sat next to me. She's acting strange. My motherly instinct urges me to help her.
" Mari, you have to eat. Do you want this?" I asked while her father translated it for me. She nodded her head shyly. She looks so cute, too bad her cheeks aren't plump. I start placing food on top of her rice and she slowly eats it. The child's reaction bothers me, so I ask.
" Was she not always fed on time, Yorimitsu?"
" No, her mother came here in the middle of the night. Mari-chan was still sleeping at that time. She demanded money for raising my child alone and I paid her. After that, she left. When I did my investigation I found out that she was formerly  living in Tokyo. The day she left my house, she fled to America, so I can't investigate further."
" She must be shocked when she wakes up in a place unfamiliar to her." I placed my hand on top of Mari's hair and patted her head. She glanced at me and smiled. It melted my heart. I wanted to hug her but I held myself. My priority is to feed her well.
" Fuck im beat." He murmured while lying on the tatami floor.
" This is the first time it has become this quiet since the day she came here to my house. I wish it was every day like this. Fuck! I'm really at my limit." He grumbles. It must have been hard for him, but he still took the responsibility. I commend him for that. When Mari finished her meal, I asked her to walk with me in the garden at the back of their house. Yorimitsu wanted to tag along but I could see he was really tired.
" Have a nap, I'll take care of her." I said, pushing him back to the tatami floor.
" Thank you Hana-chan." He grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles. He looked extremely grateful and weary. I brushed his hair for a bit and before he even realized it. He had already fallen asleep.