𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

Bella is snoozing peacefully on my lap as I recline comfortably against the plush couch, waiting for Inaya

Bella is snoozing peacefully on my lap as I recline comfortably against the plush couch, waiting for Inaya. It has been nearly an hour and a half since my arrival at her apartment, but she's still buried in her work.

Each time I inquire about her progress, she just says "5 more minutes," which has now stretched into over an hour.

My eyelids surrender to the weight of drowsiness, gently lulling me into sleep until Inaya's sudden voice startles me awake. "I'm finished working," she announces wearily, sinking into the cushions with her eyes closed, arms outstretched on either side of the couch. I shake my head, letting out a sigh. "Who even works on weekends?"

"The one and only Inaya," her hand effortlessly glides to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, though her expression subtly betrays the weariness that lingers. "We're about to launch a new design, and the whole team is all in. As the CEO, the weight of responsibility rests squarely on my shoulders."

Abruptly, her eyes spring open, locking onto mine. "Any updates on the Aryan Kabir situation? Were you able to broach the topic of his father during the dinner?"

I just shake my head. "Nope. He didn't even bother to acknowledge my presence," I answer, observing her perfectly arched eyebrows knit in curiosity. "What do you mean? Not a single word?"

I shake my head once again in response. "No. We probably had a mere second of eye contact, or even less than that. His father invited him to join us for dinner, but he simply replied, 'I'm not hungry,' and left."

This time, Inaya leans in, her focus solely on me. "No way! Did he really do that? I mean, his dad called him for dinner right in front of you, and he still said no. And I'm sure he must know that you're his dad's therapist, but he just ignored you and didn't bother asking about his dad's health?"

"Apparently not," I respond. Her gaze briefly shifts away from me, pondering something before returning to meet my eyes once again. "Any hunches on what's brewing between them? Probably there are some issues going on"

"I guess so. I really tried hard to read his face to figure out what he's thinking, but it was like trying to read a blank page. He didn't show any emotion," I tell Inaya, and her eyes stay glued to me, hanging on my every word like I'm spilling the most interesting tea ever.

"Does he have ice for every meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner?" She asks, prompting a laugh from me, which she shrugs off with an 'I don't care' expression.

"I mean, just wrap up this meeting quickly and then stay away from him. From what you've said, he sounds like a real cold fish. I doubt he even cares about his dad," she says. "And be careful when you talk to him. Given his description, he might not respond kindly."