𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟎

I sit next to Aryan with my eyes on his Fufi who is directly opposite to us

I sit next to Aryan with my eyes on his Fufi who is directly opposite to us. "You are looking pretty in this kameez." she says, gazing at me.

I smile nervously. "Thank you, Fufi"

"Aryan, why are you sitting here quietly? I thought you would change after marriage but I don't see any difference"

Aryan looks up at his Fufi and I can sense he is trying his best to stay calm.

In the next moment her eyes land on me. "You must not know about Aryan's childhood yet." Suddenly the air becomes heavy. "Let's not talk about it sister," Dad says, but she seems determined on what she is going to do or say. "Why not. She's his wife."

"Aryan was raised like a prince by his father. Ask my brother what he didn't give his son? Everything, he gave him everything." She pauses for a moment to notice Aryan and then continues, "But then sadly Aryan's mom passed away. And it was such a hard time for my brother. Yet, despite all the struggles, my brother stood tall and raised Aryan with all his love. What he is now is all because of his father."

I glance over at Aryan, and it is clear that he is not in a good place emotionally. However, he choose to remain silent, even though I can sense that something is bothering him deep inside.

"What are you talking about, sister? You know very well the immense struggle Aryan had to endure to reach this point. I had no part in it," I turn my attention back to Dad as I hear his voice.

"You raised him from the moment he was born, so it's only natural that he would reciprocate all the sacrifices and hardships you went through for him. It was his responsibility to take care of you. After all, you did so much for him." She replies with a stern voice.

I'm just surprised by her words. Does she truly know the weight and implications of what she is saying?

This time Aryan scoffs. "Where were you then, Fufi? When things were tough. Or perhaps for that particular time you forgot that you had a brother and a nephew."

His words clearly sting her, evident in the sharpness of her gaze. "Watch your language, Aryan! Do you even know what you're saying?"

This time he chose to remain silent, and it's apparent he doesn't want to get involved in any conflict. However, the intensity of his anger is clear in his eyes.

"You've always been stubborn, and you are still the same! If your mother were here, I can't even imagine how disappointed she would be in you. How hurt she would feel knowing that her own son lacks respect for his elders and his own father! Can you even imagine how bad she would feel if she were here?"

At this point, Aryan can't bear to hear any more as I see him standing up and his fists clenched tightly. "What's the point of acting concerned for my mother now when you never showed it when she was here with us?"

Without letting anyone say another word, he storms off to his room, leaving a sharp pang in my heart. How could his fufi say such things without considering the real situation?