𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕

Beep beep beep

Beep beep beep

I enter the password to unlock the door and gently push it open, stepping inside with slow, weary steps. Finally, I am home after a long, exhausting day. But soon, something catches my eye, causing me to halt in my tracks.

There, in the living room, sits my dad. Surprise is written all over my face, mirroring his. "Dad? What are you doing here?" I exclaim as I hurry towards him, enveloping him in a tight hug. My vision blurs as tears occupy my eyes, feeling the warmth of his embrace. I missed him!

I gently release my hold, and we slowly separate.
"I wanted to surprise you. And here I am!" His words cause a giggle to crawl up my throat as I reach up to wipe away the tears on my face."I missed you, Dad!"

As I gather my emotions and take a deep breath, an abrupt realization dawns upon me that besides me and dad there is another person in the room. My eyes shift slowly towards my dad's back only to receive another shock as I notice Aryan sitting on the couch, silently watching me with an intensity that sends a shiver down my spine.

With a quick swipe of my hand, I wipe away the tears that have welled up in my eyes, in an attempt to regain my composure. Clearing my throat, I glance back at him with a calm yet unbothered look, "What are you doing here?"

"I told him to join me" my eyes sweep towards my dad.

"Why, Dad?"

A nervous chuckle escapes his lips as the tip of his finger slowly strokes his eyebrows. "You want full details daughter?"

"Yes dad" I reply, folding my arms.

"I actually landed in New York a few hours ago. But since I wanted to surprise you, I didn't say anything and decided to wait for you until you came back. I also had to meet up with Habib, so I went to see him. Since I had plenty of time, I decided to swing by Aryan's company. He showed me around, and we had a great chat about his business and his ambitious career goals. This guy is seriously driven! and I loved it. By the time we wrapped up, I was feeling a bit tired, so I came back and Aryan accompanied me. And guess what? He even cooked for us! We were waiting for you to come back. So, let's not waste any more time and go grab some dinner together!"

I'm about to speak when abruptly Aryan cuts me off. "Uncle, I don't think I can join. I've to go somewhere, so I really gotta leave now"

"You have work now?" my dad asks, confusion spreading across his face.

Aryan's gaze settles on me for a fleeting moment before returning to my Dad. "Yes. I should go now. Enjoy your dinner."

My dad lets out a sigh tinged with sadness, as if he had some other plans which certainly turns out as a futile effort.

"Sara, go and see him off outside" my dad offers all of a sudden causing my eyes to narrow, nevertheless I remain silent, certainly not wanting to expand the conversation.