43

Three Weeks Later

I cannot pinpoint the last time I experienced this much tranquil ever since Levi got here. While living together as a happy couple, Levi has been taking care of me along with the cabin by helping with chores, and of course, we keep each other company in peace. I wish days like these never come to an end, but time always catches up. Life is short, so we try to make the most of the time we have. Who knows how many other chances we'll get?

I have been working in the orphanage less frequently since Levi is in town, but today, I have to work since one of the workers fell ill. Spending time with Milo, Diana, and Ray in the fields surely makes the day go like a breeze and the rest of the kids often enjoy spending time with the farm animals. I also find joy in storytelling, playing tag, and eating with them. Kids will always have their moments of joy and mischief, but having to grow up without a worry in the world is something truly precious. That is why I want to help them forget how frightening the world is.

After dinner, the evening sun is about to bid farewell for the day and I am close to finishing up my tasks inside the orphanage. While washing the dishes in the kitchen, loud footsteps come stomping in and I turn my head to find the three kids huffing with a cheeky grin.

"Captain Levy is here!" Milo shouts.

"Huh?" I blink in surprise. Levi insists on walking me to and from work to ensure my safety, but tonight, he has arrived quite early. That is when I finish up with the dishes before Milo, Diana, and Ray rush me to the front with my belongings. When we arrive at the entrance, the front door is already open and I find Vina talking to Levi until we lock eyes. My heart skips a beat when he stands there, looking effortlessly handsome as always.

"Oh, there she is!" Vina cracks a smile upon us when the kids drag me to the front door.

"Well, I'm surprised you're early." I laugh a bit and Levi willingly takes my belongings from the kids. They circle him with excitement.

"Are you going to play with us today?" Ray asks holding his fists to his chest, his eyes sparkling with anticipation and so was Diana's.

"Can you carry me on your back again?" Diana begs with a cute laugh and Milo jumps to get his attention.

"I still want to beat you in a race!" Milo challenges, but Levi shakes his head before patting them on the head.

"Not today, kids." Levi sighs, then locks eyes with me. "Maybe next time."

The three kids express their mild disappointment with an aw until Vina brings them together with a warm smile. "Now, now. This lovely couple needs to head home."

Levi and I have a tint of pink across our cheeks at her words, so I wave. "Don't worry, we'll be back soon."

"Oh, I almost forgot." Levi quickly shoves his hands into his pant pockets and the kids' eyes light up when he holds out a handful of caramel.

"Woah!" They all shout in unison before snatching some and Vina frowns with her tongue clicking. "Where are your manners, you three? What do you have to say to the captain?"

They all blush in embarrassment until Levi puts their minds at rest with a slight smile and they correct their actions. "Thank you, Captain Levy!"

Levi nods at the kids before taking my hand, leading me out of the orphanage and we both wave farewell. "Have a good rest of your night."