Chapter 1

"Kiss me, we won't remember."

~~

"Baby, I know places we won't be found, and—Cut it." I stopped playing. The music was cut and I turned towards the band. "Drums are behind a beat. Did you hear it or am I crazy?"

"I heard it. I fell behind right have the first chorus."

I opened my water bottle, "It's all good. It's the only time I've heard it anyway. I barely noticed. We just need it fixed before the show tonight. Let's take a break though. I need one." I plopped down on the stage and let my legs hang over the edge.

"You're doing great, you know?" One of my guitarists took a seat next to me.

"Yeah, well, it's crazy to think I'm playing at a sold out Wembley tonight. Two years ago I said maybe to all of this."

"And now you walk down the streets and people know your name."

"That has it's pros and cons. Pros being I sing for a living."

"And cons?"

"I think my girlfriend may love the spotlight more than me." I chuckled. "I just like to sing."

"And you right damn good songs."

"I haven't written anything since the album though. Haven't had much inspiration."

"Well, the songs on the setlist for the tour are damn good then."

"I guess so. I'm going to run to the restroom. Can you get the piano? I want to run through "Waiting Room" before tonight."

"Sure thing."

"Thanks, Robbie."

I scroll through Instagram on my phone and I saw a certain someone pop up. I kept tabs on her, but over time, my keeping up faded.

But she was never less than a memory. A good and happy memory. One that made me still believe I might've fallen in love or had started to.

Liked by ellatoone and 53,196 othersalessiarusso99 +3 before the summer of our lives   View all 540 comments     ellatoone 🔥     1maryearps Goal scoring machine 😤   Load more comments

alessiarusso99 +3 before the summer of our lives
   View all 540 comments
     ellatoone 🔥
     1maryearps Goal scoring machine 😤
   Load more comments.

I was glad she was doing well. She'd been on a high since she left the States. I saw she got the invitation to the Euros, which was a tournament I didn't really understand, but I could tell it was a big deal.

I hoped she was proud of herself.

"Brooke, you're on in ten seconds."

I gave Landon a thumbs up and handed my guitar. I was handed my IEM and my microphone was propped up in front of me. A few of my team members questioned my decision to play one of my slower pieces first, but to me, it made perfect sense.

It was the song that rose me to fame. I thought it seemed fitting to play it first.

I loved touring. It was a sense of freedom. But I also hated it too. I liked living a normal life. I missed it. For the longest time this was my goal. Sing, make money, please people. And now that I do that, I wish I did it without the fame.

"Ready?"

"I may throw up." I replied.

"Then you're ready."

Landon hit the lift button. "Comforting thoughts!" I shouted as I went up.

I slid my IEM into my ear and took a deep breath. I didn't take in anything from the crowd. I told myself to have the I made it moment after the first song. Once the lights went on, I began to fade in. I only planned to play the last chorus.

"We're all just twenty-something, twenty-something," I started a beat behind, just on queue. "We don't know what we want but God we want it; With us it's all or nothing," I get a decent glimpse at the large crowd. "Breaking hearts just to know that we're still beautiful; We're all just twenty-something, twenty-something,"

My backups started, "We're twenty-something."

So many people. "Scared of what's next, so we just keep on running,"

Backups. "Next so we just keep on running,"

"Kiss me, we won't remember,"

"Ooh, we won't remember."

Hold the note.

My turn. End on a high. "Breaking hearts just to know we're still beautiful." And done. I took my IEM out to listen to the crowd. Wow. "It's a full house in here." I said. The crowd got louder. I waited a few seconds. "My management told—no—advised me to not sing "20 Something" as my opener, but I think it played out well, no?" There were cheers again. "I have, I don't know, thirty songs, give or take a few, then a surprise at the end. Does that sound okay with everybody?" When the crowd got louder, I smiled. "Let's get on with it then."

This was going to be a fun night. 

~~~~
AN:
 This as a little shorter than I hoped, but I hope it turned out good. They'll get longer once they see each other again. I'm thinking through some plots I may or may not go down.
I also never know how big those pictures are going to be and I'm not quite sure if I can shrink them down 🤷🏼‍♀️. I'm trying to figure out this book's theme as well. I feel like London Girl was kind of bright and bubbly, It All Leads Back to You was dark/rebellious, Perfection was mysterious but tough. I don't know. Figuring it out.

20 Something - Fletcher

Random fact:
The Eiffel Tower can be 15 cm taller during the summer

As always, vote ⭐️

🫶🏼