Chapter 22

"I loved you."

~~~~~

Brooke left two hours ago. She hasn't texted or called me either. I've been sitting in silence for a while now too. I couldn't believe it. She kissed someone else while on tour. I had no idea what more she'd done either.

I didn't give her the time of day to explain herself, but then again, she didn't remember even kissing the woman.

I didn't even want to hear her either.

I needed to take my mind off this heartbreak. I went up to the bedroom and changed into a pair of shorts and a new shirt. I filled up my water bottle and went out to the garage. The door was still open. Brooke's car was still there and when I caught a glimpse of her inside of the car, I stopped. She had her head down on the steering wheel.

I wanted to ignore her, but I couldn't. I went to the driver's side of the car and knocked on the window. She jumped but looked up at me. Brooke's face was stained with tears. She rolled down the window but turned her face away.

"I thought you left." I kept my voice soft

"I was going to but...but I didn't."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I—I can though. I can go."

"It's okay. I'm about to leave anyway." I dug my heal into the ground. "If you want to go get some of your things while I'm gone, that'd be good." I could see it in her face. And even though I gave her a punch in the gut, she nodded. "Do you have somewhere to go?"

She nodded. "I think so."

"You think so?"

"There's hotels around," She wiped under her nose with her arm. "I'll stay in one for the night then head back to the States tomorrow or something."

"Okay." I swallowed. "Here," I slid the engagement ring off my finger and held it out. "Get your money back."

Brooke softly laughed, looking at the ring. "I don't need the money back. I'd already made the amount spent in a couple hours." Then she sighed. "But um...thanks anyway."

"Yeah."

"I'll go get my things." I stepped back so she could open the car door. Once she was out, she met my eyes. "I'm sorry, Alessia." Her voice was a whisper. "I...I messed up. I really don't even remember that night. It's inexcusable though. What I did. I hurt you without meaning to. I—I hope that one day you forgive me, and we can at least be friendly with each other."

"I loved you."

"I love you too—"

"No," I interrupted her. "I loved you."

"Alessia..." I shook my head. I felt her hand on the back of my neck, and I wanted to move it, but I couldn't. Our eyes were connected as she leaned in and kissed me. I didn't want her to go. "I'm sorry." she whispered, planting her forehead against mine.

"Why'd you kiss her?"

"I don't know. I don't remember it and...and I wish I did. You were right about me. I cheated on Rachel with you and now I've cheated on you. Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"I—Take care of yourself."

"I will. Find someone who treats you good, who makes you happy." She let go of me and stepped away. "I'll be rooting for you. Always."

I watched her walk inside the house that used to be ours and shut the door. That chapter of life that had been our chapter was over. We'd soon be worlds apart and forget all about each other.

I spent my entire afternoon out on Manchester's training pitch with my AirPods blasting music in my ears. I tired myself until I felt as though my legs couldn't carry me anymore.

I headed into the physio and ran myself an ice bath before showering in the facilities and driving home. When I walked into the house, I could feel the emptiness of it. I hadn't even walked far into the place, but I could feel it. Nothing really seemed out of place until I walked into the bedroom. Brooke's closet was empty, except for the hangers she left behind and one hoodie. Her nightstand was bare. Her side of the dresser was empty. Her side of the bathroom counter and shower was empty too.

I went into her studio across the hall. Everything stayed, but it was all packed up. All the cords were wrapped and tied, guitars were in cases, piano unplugged. I wondered if she were going to come back to get it or if she decided to leave it buy new sets.

I sat down on the couch she had in here. I'd been in here once and I listened to her play her songs for me, but then we spent the rest of the afternoon lying here.

Fuck this.

I made my way back to the living room and that's when I saw her standing behind the counter.

"What are you doing here? I thought you left."

"I—I got a text about a package of mine that arrived. I just came to get it. I'm going now."

We somehow were only a few feet from each other. "Brooke?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't go yet."

"Alessia—"

I put my forehead against hers. "Please."

Brooke put the package back on the counter. She placed her hands on the back of my thighs and picked me up and wrapped my legs around her torso. She carried me to our room and sat me down on our bed. She stood between my legs and started to take her shirt off. I unsnapped her jeans and pulled them down her legs. Brooke's hands were already under my shirt, trying to get it off my body.

He lips met mine again while also the force of the kiss pushed me down into the mattress. She pulled away for a moment and let her eyes meet mine.

"This is only going to hurt our hearts more, Alessia." Her breathing was uneven and heavy as she spoke. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." 

~~~~~
AN:
 Well, this is going to be an adventure.

I do hope you all are enjoying this! I also do love all the feedback/suggestions since it does help a ton!

If we can get this to I don't know, 80 votes, I'll post the next chapter ✍🏼🫣

Weird/Fun fact: Honey never spoils

As always, vote ⭐️

🫶🏼