forty two- silence

Clays Pov:
It's been 3 days since Collie was stolen, and there are still no leads.

Harper hasn't spoke since it all happened, and has barely left her room. We've only had her leave her room when it was time to eat.

Ruthanna hasn't left her room once. Shes said a few words, but nothing she's saying is really making sense. We've tried to get her to eat, but she never complies.

Nothing will get better until Collie is back.

For how many people live with us, the house feels so empty without her.

Everyone is quiet, and alone.

Collie is always talking, and running around the house.

I miss her so much..

Me, and the other 4 boys were sitting on the couch, and I looked up when I heard Ruth's door open.

I watched as she went into each babies room for around 10 minutes. Each room, you could hear her muffled voice, as if she was talking to the babies.

She then went to Harper's room.

It was different when she went in there.

Ruth said a few words, that I couldn't hear, and then it was quiet. I guessed that she was just laying with her. Harper needs her mom. She has the rest of us, but her mom has of course, been there from the beginning.

Her mom is her number one.

And so is Collie.

Ruth came out and just stood there, she began walking down the stairs, but stopped mid way down.
"Are you okay?" Alex asked.
"Can I..can I have a hug..?" She asked, quietly.

I stood up immediately. I went up, and wrapped my arms around her. I lifted her up, and she wrapped her legs around my waist. I walked downstairs with her, and sat on the couch, we all huddled around, hugging each other.

We didn't need to speak.

We just needed each other.

That was enough.

A few hours passed, we put on a show and just laid together.

We now had all 3 babies downstairs with us, but Harper didn't want to come downstairs.

"Did Harper talk to you when you went upstairs?" I asked Ruth, and she nodded.
"She was excited to see me, but I just laid with her, and hugged her."

Everyone nodded.

Ruth stood up randomly, and went upstairs to her room, shutting her door behind her.

I stood up, and went upstairs. I knocked on her door, and she didn't say anything.

I opened the door slowly and I realized she was in her bathroom.

I knocked and she didn't answer.

I could hear heavy breathing from the other side of the door, so I knocked again.
"Ruth? Ruth, open the door, baby." I begged her.

The boys heard from downstairs.

They quickly put the babies in their cribs, and came upstairs.
"Ruthanna? It's okay, just open the door." Nick said.

There was slow shuffling on the other side of the door, and she unlocked it.

I saw her scoot back to her original spot on the floor against the bathtub.

Her eyes were bloodshot red and puffy, and there were tears streaming down her face.
"Oh, babygirl..." I picked her up easily, and I brought her to her bed.

She couldn't stop crying.
"Honey, you gotta breathe.." George told her.
"I-I can't!" She raised her voice, panicking.

I helped her lay into her back, rubbing her arm up and down.
"When was the last time you took your meds?" I asked her.
"I dont- I don't know.." she said, trying to balance her breathing.

I eyed George, and he stood up, grabbing all of her meds.

She sat up, and I grabbed her water bottle, and she took them.

She put her head on my shoulder.
"This is what happens when I stop watching.." she said quietly.
"What do you mean?" Alex asked.
"I took my eyes off of Harper.. she jumped in the pool and almost drowned, then 2 years later, she ended up in the hospital and needed surgery to remove glass from her stomach! Now I wasn't watching Collie and shes gone.." after she said "she's gone" she gasped.
"Collie is gone.. my baby is gone.." she began sobbing again.

Its like it hadn't processed yet.

She hadn't said it out loud

Collie is gone.

We comforted her until she calmed down again.

We need to stay strong for her. We are all hurting so bad, but Collie is her baby.. her daughter.

And now she's gone.

I can't believe this...

Sorry chapters have been kinda short, but I don't wanna drag out a chapter unnecessarily.
Xoxo