Brave New World

Brooke gasped when she woke up suddenly

Brooke gasped when she woke up suddenly. Everything around her was dark, but it wasn't like usual because now she could see clear outlines in the darkness. She was still in the hospital.

She felt different though. She felt... healthier almost. Like her entire body was awake and energised and different. When she passed out after Elena, or Katherine, or whoever that was, had come she felt like she was dying, but she was awake.

"Caroline?" she hissed over to her sister's bed

Her sister stirred and then a moment later she sharply turned her head to the side. "What happened?" she whispered back

Brooke shrugged. "I don't know. I just woke up, and I feel funny"

"Me too" whimpered Caroline "My stomach feels weird"

"Maybe the dinner was shit?" asked Brooke

Her sister looked at her reproachfully. "Yes dinner was shit. I know what you mean though. Should we get some medicine or something?"

Her twin shook her head. "No I don't want medicine, I feel, like, hungry. I need food"

"Yeah" nodded Caroline "Come on, let's ask"

Brooke's insides were churning, with a hunger like she had never experienced before. Maybe the hospital food had just gone down wrong, or perhaps she was actually just hungry. But it didn't feel like an actual hunger, it felt hotter, like something was heating her insides.

Together the twins crept out of their rooms and were hoping to find some help, or some food outside, but the entire place was dark and deserted, except for one woman at the desk.

"Excuse me?" she asked bravely "Where is everyone?"

"It's the middle of the night hons," the nurse replied

Caroline blanched. "It is? Oh, uh... have you seen our mom?"

"She left after dinner with your boyfriend and then your friend Elena stepped by" she explained

Brooke frowned. "She did?...  Yeah, she did but she said her name was Katherine." The nurse rolled her eyes slightly "Can we just get something to eat?"

"Breakfast comes around seven" replied the nurse

"But we're hungry" retorted Caroline

The nurse was not phased though, and just shrugged. "You should go back to sleep"

Her tone was firm, and the girls knew it so they reluctantly turned back around. But then, the most delicious smell filled Brooke's nose and she turned back around, trying to locate its source

"What is that smell?" she asked

The nurse smiled stiffly "Back to bed"

She collected a few papers from her desk and walked off, so Caroline opened the door to their room, but Brooke didn't move. "I'll be back" she hissed to her sister, and her bare feet began to move over the cold cement floor.