Chapter 38

Cody and Loona showed King Purson, Duke Dantalion, and General Braxton what they found. King Purson found it very interesting, while the other two wanted to put the screws to that greedy piece of shit. However, King Purson wanted to be cautious and took everything to Lucifer and the other Goetia Kings.

Cody's dragon, Rocky, was feeling better and needy. So, Cody and Loona went to see him, and the officer, who was an expert on dragons, was there too – his name was Billy.

Cody scratched under Rocky's chin, "There, there . . . did you miss me, buddy?"

Rocky made steady breathing sounds and what almost sounded like a beastly purr with long blinks.

"That's good, he's calm. That's what you want," Billy said.

"How's he holding up? How's his health?" Loona asked with her arms crossed.

"I don't think he's ready to fly, but you should take him for a walk."

Cody looked over his shoulder at him while still petting Rocky, "A walk?"

"Dragons are great flyers, but they like walking more than flying. Walking is a great way to bond with him. All you have to do is talk to him. He may not understand everything you're saying, but hearing your voice and recognizing his existence makes dragons feel like they belong to someone. They need that. That feeling that someone cares," Billy explained.

"You weren't kidding about dragons being emotional creatures," Loona said.

"Nope, it's a real deal. Some have even killed themselves. Like how whales beach themselves, dragons either stop eating or they fly high up and just fall."

"Well, that's sad," Cody said.

"Yeah, it is. So, take him for a walk and talk about anything," Billy said, handing him a chain collar for Rocky, "Even if it's a one-sided conversation, it's good for him."

Cody took the collar and carefully put it on Rocky's neck. He led Rocky out of the barn, and they walked through the meadow fields toward the river. Loona stayed behind to let Cody bond with his dragon.

"You know, a couple of years ago, I was just a normal kid up on the surface in the human world. I'd come home from school, play video games, watch cartoons, and play with my friends. I'd listen to metal and hard rock with my dad. My best friend, Melman Clarkwell, we did everything together. We'd team up on War Thunder, watch Steven Universe and Steven Universe Future, play soccer . . . everything," Cody said as they walked, "We even went trick r' treating together on Halloween . . . and I miss him every day."

Rocky looked at Cody like he could understand him as he slowly blinked and kept his steady and calm breathing.

"I've changed so much since I got here . . . and these powers. I wonder if Melman will even recognize me, and at the same time, I wonder if he'll be safer without me in his life. Sometimes, I think about him and my other friends and wonder if they're thinking of me. I've been gone for so long that I wonder if Melman has put up missing-person posters. Wouldn't that be nice?"

There was a long silence as Cody and Rocky enjoyed the nature around them. Cody thought about everyone in his life. Blitzo, M&M, Shadow, Kimi, Verosika and her crew, Slade.

"What a minute. I just realized Loona and Slade haven't had their official first date since they got back together. Loona's been under a lot of stress lately. She deserves at least one date with her man," Cody said.