1

Rain.

Cold, gloomy, and miserable.

I've never liked rain. Every time it rains it gives me the feeling something bad is going to happen. Although nothing bad has ever happened during the rain. Perhaps I died while it was raining in a past life.  

"Damn," Bella mumbled next to me, wiping the raindrops off of her glasses off with her shirt. "I swear, this rain never lets up."

We sat in silence for a moment, the only sound being the rain hitting both the ground and our heads. In that stillness, it only let me continue thinking about the inexplicable connection between my disdain for rain and the inexplicable unease it instilled within me. Was it a premonition, a fragment of forgotten memories, or just an irrational fear of mine?

Bella glanced at me, a knowing look in her eyes as if she sensed the turmoil brewing within me. "Vira, are you okay?"

I managed a weak smile, trying to shake off the heaviness that clung to me like the rain-soaked clothes on our backs. "Yeah, just the rain getting to me, I guess." 

Deep down, I knew it was more than just the rain; it was an unexplainable sensation, an inexplicable sense of foreboding that I couldn't quite shake off.

╭────── · · ✦ · · ──────╮

                           Double Vision 

╰────── · · ✦ · · ──────╯

001. viraliya .

jan. 27, 2024. 

2:16 p.m.

I stared at my wall, the distant melody of Bella's guitar echoing throughout the house. I wish she'd stop, it's interrupting my thought process. 

My principal died yesterday on school grounds. Schools been called off for the next few days, which I find absurd, but it's probably mandatory practice. 

I wasn't there to witness it, so I can't confirm or deny anything, but I've heard rumors that it was an aneurysm. But it just won't click in my head, because aneurysms don't cause instantaneous death, at least usually. 

I'm probably thinking too hard about it, but nothings adding up. 

I really want to rip Bella's guitar out of her hands and start beating her with it. She's been playing the same stupid song all week. 

I grumbled, angrily shoving a donut hole into my mouth. I can't stay too mad at Bella, since she bought me these. 

It's funny, no one else has probably given the principals death this much thought. If anything, they're grateful schools been called off. Humans truly are disgusting creatures.

Bella strummed the same tune, lost in her own world, unaware of the storm brewing inside me. I wanted to scream, to make her understand the turmoil gnawing at my insides, but words failed me.

I'm being dramatic right now. 

What is there to even think of? He had an aneurysm. He was unlucky and died instantly. There's no way anyone could have inflicted that upon him, so, goddamn it, why is this bugging me so much?

Actually, I have an idea. It's a far stretch, but it might work. I opened my phone. I have the local hospitals phone number written somewhere in my notes.