023. bella.

mar. 19, 2024.

9:13 a.m.

I stood outside, completely soaked in the rain. It's been pouring since yesterday when Ben died.

I was so sure Ben was Aneri. I feel so stupid. 

The rain had completely drenched my hair, my bangs falling into my eyes. I didn't bother pushing them out of the way, there's nothing good to see out here anyway.

I gazed off into the distance from what I could see. Would I rather die from an aneurysm or falling off of a police station?

Reha's going to be mad at me. We're supposed to go out tomorrow. Hopefully he won't hold a grudge against me.

"Eui! What are you doing?! Come inside!"

I pushed my bangs out of my eyes, looking over at the door. Lyra was standing inside, grimacing when the wind pushed some of the rain into her face, and she hid behind the doorframe. "Hurry up!"

I bit my lip, trudging over to the door. 

She shut the door behind me after I walked in. She took off her jacket, putting it on top of my head and pushing me to sit down. "What were you thinking?! You're going to get sick!"

I glanced down at her hands. "You're not wearing your ring."

"My husband is dead. I have no reason to." she rolled her eyes, then began drying my hair with her jacket. "You need to stop impulsively doing stupid things."

I gazed at her, my eyes softening. "Why are you acting like you care about me?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" she frowned. "Of course I care about you."

"It's easy to tell when people are lying." I looked away. "You're doing it right now."

"No I'm not."

"Do you think it was by coincidence we met, that day? At the party?"

She looked up at me. "I guess so."

"Wrong." I gently pushed her hands and jacket off of me. 

She frowned. "What are you getting at?"

"Are you going to miss me?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Stop spewing nonsense that I can't understand."

I stared at my lap. "That's a no." I looked back up at her. "You hate me, right?"

"Of course not." she crossed her arms. "But I'm a bit annoyed with you right now."

"Take good care of Kate for me. Be extra nice to her."

She furrowed her brows. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean." I stood up. "Do you know where she is? I'd like to speak with her before I leave."

She frowned. "She's in the office with the rest of the police. She sent me to look for you."

"You, huh?" I smiled. "She trusts you?"

She glared at me, turning around. "Come on."

Lyra led me through the police station, the dull hum of activity echoing in the background. The atmosphere inside was tense, and the fluorescent lights seemed to flicker sporadically, casting a gloom over the place.

But the lights flickering is probably my mind playing tricks on me. I can't trust anything that's happening today, can I?

We reached the door to the office, and Lyra hesitated before opening it. Vira looked up as Lyra and I entered.