004. periwinkle .

feb. 7, 2024.

8:02 a.m.

I stared blankly at the clock, holding my coffee in my hands. I could feel it getting cold.

That message I received last night keeps coming back in the back of my mind.

i am b.

Who the hell introduces themselves like that? And especially B? What're they thinking, exposing their number to me like that? 

It's gotta be a fraud. B is too cautious.

i am b.

They're totally coming for me since I was shitting on them yesterday. This is karma. 

No, that's stupid. B is a detective, not a murderer. 

But why?! Why are they revealing themselves to me like this?! I could leak their number if I desired!

How am I even supposed to respond? 'Oh, hi, B, I'm Periwinkle!'?? That's absurd!!

I glared at my phone, cautiously unlocking it.

???

i am b.

Periwinkle

Hello

not delivered 

Hello

not delivered 

Um??

this number is no longer in service.

What the hell?? This is stupid.

"Periwinkle Sheikh." I held out my badge, the receptionist nodding in response as I went to sit down.

Man, this is messing with my head. I hate the psychiatrist for the police. He seems so unnecessary. But here I am.

I sat in the waiting area, nervously tapping my foot as I glanced around at the sterile walls of the psychiatrist's office.

After what felt like an eternity, the door to the psychiatrist's office opened, and a young looking man motioned for me to come in. Dr. Herzig, as his nameplate indicated.

"Periwinkle Sheikh, right?" he said, extending a hand.

I shook it reluctantly, my mind still preoccupied with the mysterious message.

"Please, have a seat," he gestured towards the comfortable-looking chair on the other side of his cluttered desk.

This guys presence is making me feel insecure. He looks so young, and he's certainly not bad to look at, my confirmation being the ring on his finger. He seems so put together, and I'm a 40 year old man who looks 60 and hasn't felt the touch of a woman in decades. 

I took a deep breath and settled into the chair, my gaze still fixed on the message thread on my phone.

"Chief, how have you been feeling lately?" Dr. Herzig asked, his pen poised to jot down notes.

"Fine, I guess," I mumbled, not really sure where to begin. "But something strange happened. I got this message last night from someone claiming to be B."