009. viraliya .

feb. 14, 2024.

9:30 a.m.

"The pattern here is so random. It's the same with everyone who's died, but it doesn't make any sense." Bella frowned, her arms crossed as she stared at her computer screen. "Everyone who made it to the emergency room before they died all reported having severe headaches and ringing in their ears."

I stared at Bella, mostly tuning out everything she was saying.

She's horrible at hiding things from me.

"Vira?" she turned to me raising an eyebrow.

"When did you plan on telling me you were working with the police?"

She opened her mouth to speak, but quickly shut it. "Uh—"

I glared at her. "It's all over the news." 

Bella shifted uncomfortably in her chair, avoiding my gaze. "I didn't think it was a big deal."

I sighed, trying to temper my frustration. "It kind of is. Why didn't you talk to me about it?"

"I'm sorry. You're right. I should've told you."

I leaned back, taking a deep breath. "So, what's going on? What have you found?"

She opened up a file on her computer, sharing her findings. "It's bizarre. There's a connection between these cases, but it's elusive. I'm trying to trace back their activities, but there's literally nothing." 

"Any patterns in their routines, common places they visited?"

Bella nodded, her determination returning. "That's what I've been looking into. I'll keep you in the loop from now on, I promise. Oh, also, we're referring to the culprit as Aneri."

"Thanks. So—"

Bella's phone cut us off with the obnoxious ringing. "Sorry, hang on." she held her phone up to her ear. "Hey? ..oh, yeah, sounds cool. Sure. Give me half an hour at most."

I raised an eyebrow. "Who was it?"

"Rene. He needs me to deliver something to the police station." she groaned, throwing her head back in her chair. "I don't wanna go." 

I hesitated before replying. "I can go." 

Bella looked at me with surprise, setting her phone to the side. "You sure? It might take a while, and it's not the most exciting task."

I shrugged. "I've got some time. Besides, maybe a change of scenery will help clear my head. You can stay here and keep digging into those cases. We'll cover more ground that way."

Bella grinned, appreciative of the offer. "You're a lifesaver, Vira. Just drop it off at the front desk. They know me there, so it shouldn't be a problem."

"Alright, give me the package. I'll take care of it." I reached out my hand, and she handed me a small, nondescript box. "What's in it anyway?"

She shrugged. "His ass will thank me later. Probably. I'm not sure how guys work."

"...sorry?" I deadpanned.

"Nothing, nothing! Off you go!" she waved me off.

It's cold. I'm cold. Goddamn it.

I love spending Valentine's Day like this. Ugh.

Police Station, Police Station, Police Station.