038. viraliya .

apr. 19, 2024.

5:05 a.m.

I've finally been discharged from the hospital. I'm stuck with an eyepatch for life, but it's better than being dead. 

Morana hovered behind me, glancing around my apartment. "You know, for a world renowned detective, I thought you'd live in a nicer place."

I scoffed. "That'd give myself away."

"Touché." she mumbled, floating upside down, although somehow her ballgown managed to stay as if she were standing.

"How am I going to find Aneri?" I asked, buttoning my overcoat. "Your sister could be anywhere."

She smiled, tilting her head to the side. "I know who Aneri is, I just don't know their name."

I glared at Morana. "Why must you make this so difficult?"

"Just go to work. You'll thank me."

I opened the door to the police office, sighing as I slumped into my seat. Everyone but Ryan and Lyra were there. 

Morana leaned forward to whisper in my ear. "Don't make a scene when you figure it out."

I ignored her, pulling out my phone and going to my notes app, typing so I could respond to her without looking schizophrenic. It's hard to not make a scene when I'm dealing with the person who murdered my sister.

She frowned. "Just try not to—"

Oh. Fuck. No.

Lyra and Ryan walked in next to eachother, a girl who looked identical to Morana floating behind them, wearing a dark red dress and tiara. Morana winced. "Don't freak out, please—"

"You!" I screamed, shooting up from my chair. Everyone froze, staring at me. 

Morana facepalmed. "I said not to make a scene."

"Me?" Ryan asked, confusion etched all over his face. 

I blinked. I sat back down. "Sorry. I didn't sleep much last night."

I watched as everyone filed to their seats, resentment filling my entire being as I witnessed Harshita following Lyra.

Morana narrowed her eyes. "Confront her in private. No need to make a scene."

Ignoring her, I stood up. "I know who Aneri is." I announced.

"What?!" Rene shouted. "There's no way! How?!"

"That's random." Lyra crossed her arms. "Can we even trust that? I mean, you've been in the hospital for days, don't you think—"

"I see Harshita."

Lyra quickly shut up, the color draining from her face.

"You." I walked forward, watching as Lyra backed against the wall. "You killed my sister."

"Huh?!" Molly shouted. "That's crazy! Don't you have any proof?!"

I turned around, looking up at Morana. "Show yourself to them."

She glanced around, summoning her gun, handing it to me. I set it on the front desk. "Touch it. All of you."

Everyone, one by one, came and placed their hands on the gun. They turned around, all having relatively the same reaction to Morana. I cleared my throat. "I met her while I was in the hospital. She's the twin sister of the apparition bonded to Aneri, which is—" I turned and pointed at Lyra. "Her."

"This is—" Lyra stammered, sweat forming on her face as she searched the room frantically. "This is bullshit! I'm not Aneri! Are you insane?!"

"Oh yeah?" I tilted my head to the side. "Why don't you say Harshita, then?"

She breathed heavily. "You— I'm not Aneri!" she ran out of the room.

"Run after her!" I screamed, sprinting towards the door."