020. viraliya .

mar. 16, 2024.

5:02 p.m.

"What are you getting so dressed up for?" Bella popped her head into my room. 

I turned to her. "Can you help me put on eyeliner?"

She furrowed her brows. "Okay, what's going on?" she walked over to me, taking the eyeliner from my hand.

"I'm going to a party. And you're coming." I looked up at her. 

She raised her eyebrows. "I did not ever expect to hear those words coming from you."

I laughed nervously. "Well, things change, so..." I trailed off, unable to come up with a good excuse. I just wanted to spend time with Bella that isn't related to the Aneri case.

She grinned as she carefully applied the eyeliner. "Alright, I'm in. But tell me the details. Whose party is it?"

I took a deep breath. "It's at the fraternity house Reha's at. I don't think he's the one hosting it, though. Rene invited me."

Bella finished the eyeliner, stepping back to admire her work. "If you get railed tonight I'd like you to thank me afterwards."

I choked, my face heating up. "Excuse me?!"

She burst into laughter. "It's a good thing, you look hot!"

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks, I guess. But seriously, it's not like that. I just figured you'd want to take a break from all the Aneri stuff."

Bella smirked. "Sureeee. Just a casual break from genocide, with a side of looking hot. Got it. You know, if you need tips—"

"Bella!" I blushed, cutting her off. "I'm not going there to hook up with someone!"

She shrugged. "Just saying."

I sighed. "I have a dress, but I need to know if it's too much." 

Her face lit up. "Show me!" 

I stood up, opening my closet and pulling out a dress. It showed way more skin than I'd ever been comfortable showing, but it'd be a waste of money if I didn't ever wear it. It was a short wine red dress with spaghetti straps and a thigh slit.

I turned to Bella nervously. "Is it bad?"

"No, that's fucking gorgeous!" she turned to me, a stupid smile on her face. "You're going to have a blast, trust me on this."

Bella's enthusiasm was infectious. "Alright then," I said with a shy smile, "but you have to promise me you won't leave my side, okay?"

She grinned. "No promises. What time is the party?"

"6:00, so we'll have to leave soon."

"Okay." she nodded. "Just let me know when you're ready to go." she sped out my door before I could get any more words in. 

Once she left I slipped out of my clothes, putting the dress on and turning away from the mirror. I'm honestly scared to look at myself. I feel naked right now. Do I need to put my hair up? Put on jewelry? If I put on heels will I be too tall?

I turned to the mirror, practically shocking myself. That's me? No way. I don't even know if I'm shocked in a good or bad way, I'm just shocked. 

This is probably the first outfit I've worn where my Yin tattoo was visible. Bella has a matching Yang one, but you can see it in everything she wears unless she has a jacket on.

Fuck it, I'm gonna wear heels. I dug through my closet, finding black heels and throwing them onto my bed. I'm going to break my ankles tonight, I swear.

I checked my watch. 

5:33 p.m. 

Shit, I have to go. I grabbed my heels, heading out of my room. I opened Bella's door. "We need to go."

She looked up at me, standing up. "Kay!"

I stared at her for a few seconds, my face scrunching up. She was wearing a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants. 

She raised her eyebrows. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You are not wearing that." I grabbed her arm, dragging her to my room.

"Huh?!" she protested. "Viraaa, it's fine!" 

"No, it's not." I dug through my closet, shoving a black dress into her arms. "Change."

She deadpanned, staring at the dress in her hands. "I can't wear this." 

"Well, you're going to." I started for the door. "If you get into my car and you're not wearing it I'm going to beat your ass." I left the room, leaving her in there to change.

I grabbed my keys off the counter, heading out of the apartment and to my car. The night air felt cool as I made my way to the car.

After a few minutes Bella opened the passenger door, wearing the dress I had insisted she put on. She shot me an annoyed look.

"You owe me for this." she grumbled as she climbed into the car.

I chuckled, starting the engine. Reha will be thanking me for this when he sees her. "I think I already have my favor in place for you."

She frowned, crossing her arms. "What the hell does that mean?" 

"You'll see." I smiled.

As we drove to the party, Bella glanced over at me. "You really do look amazing. I didn't think you had it in you."

I shot her a glare. "Are you saying I usually look bad?"

She laughed. "No, not at all! You just look different."

"How dare you." I stifled a laugh. She was 100% right.

We pulled up to the frat house, the music blaring from within. The atmosphere was lively, and the anticipation mixed with nerves fluttered in my stomach. 

As Bella and I stepped out of the car, the cool breeze stung my skin. I hoped my decision to wear the dress wouldn't be something I'd regret later.

The moment we entered the party, the energy hit us like a wave. The bass reverberated through the floor, and a mix of laughter, chatter, and music filled the air.

I scanned the room, looking for familiar faces. Ryan spotted us and waved enthusiastically, gesturing us to join him in the midst of the crowd.

I leaned in close to Bella, having to yell so I could even hear myself talk. "Okay, this is not what I expected."

She laughed. "It's a party, what were you expecting?!"

"I don't know."

"Just enjoy the break. You deserve it." she smiled, pushing me towards Ryan and running off.

That asshole.

I walked up to Ryan, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Hi," I wanted to mumble, but I couldn't even hear myself think.

"Hey!" he grinned. "It's quieter outside, come on." he grabbed my arm before I could even process what was going on.

He brought me out to the deck, sighing. "Sorry. It's kinda loud whenever the party first starts."

"I can tell." I laughed awkwardly. He was wearing a white button up shirt, the same type of shirt that makes me weak in the knees, but I'll be taking that secret to my grave.

He glanced from my eyes and down, and I pressed my lips together. Could he be any more obvious at checking me out?

He cleared his throat. "You want a drink?"

I shook my head. "Can't. Staying sober so I can drive Bella home."

"Oh." he glanced away, then back at me. "I promise it won't be as crazy in about an hour, but by then you'll probably have tuned most of it out."

I smiled, nodding. "Okay."