018. varian .

mar. 1, 2024.

4:30 p.m.

"Sorry I took so long, my husband was being a pain in the ass," Lyra groaned, plopping into the passenger seat of my car.

I chuckled. "You don't talk about your husband a lot."

"Because he's weird." she grumbled. "It's embarrassing being seen with him. I'm not even his type."

"So why are you even married to him?"

She shrugged. "He buys me stuff."

I raised an eyebrow, smirking. "That's your reason for being married?"

Lyra sighed, leaning back into the seat. "I know, it sounds shallow, but hear me out. It started as a casual thing, you know? He was persistent, showered me with gifts, and I thought, why not? It's not like I was head over heels for him."

I started the car, pulling out of the parking lot. "But now?"

"I'm stuck with him until he dies or something."

"Okay, that's dark." 

"He's upset because I went out with you," she explained. "He's convinced I'm cheating on him, which I am, but—"

"Hang on, you're what now?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Mentally cheating," she corrected herself. "Although I'm not too sure about them anymore because they think I'm a mass murderer." she crossed her arms.

"Literally, or...?"

"Literally."

I stifled a laugh.

Lyra shot me a glare. "It's not funny! They've been hounding me, accusing me of things I've never even thought of doing! I'm just very inconveniently at the wrong place at the wrong time, like, 24/7." 

"And who is they?" I grinned.

She lowered her voice. "You can't tell anyone. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you or not." 

I raised an eyebrow.

"B and V. They've made me join the police and everything so they can keep an eye on me."

What the hell? B and V?? She's joking. "You're bullshitting."

"I'm not!" she groaned. "You have no idea how stressful it is!"

"They have a reputation of always being right, so I mean..."

"Are you kidding me?!" she whined. "You're supposed to be taking my side!"

"Sorry. I'm just saying." I shrugged.

She rolled her eyes. "You don't get it! It's like I'm living in some bad true crime movie. They think I have some connection to the Aneri case. Every time I try to explain that I'm innocent, they give me this stupid look and say, 'That's what they all say.'"

I laughed. "B and V, huh? I've always thought they sound like characters from some secret spy agency or a cheesy detective novel. They're real?"

"That's exactly what I thought at first!" she groaned, "but they know things. It's actually ridiculous. Like, they predicted the weather last night! Who does that?!"

"Okay, now you're messing with me."

"No, seriously! V told me to carry an umbrella, and it rained later. It's like they have a direct line to the universe or something."