016. viraliya .

feb. 29, 2024.

5:21 p.m.

We were all gathered in the hotel room again. We've been doing this quite a lot recently. I find it far more convenient than sitting on a computer.

I picked up my glass of water, and Rene raised his hand.

"This is probably a bad time, but 40 people were just reported dead at 5:00.."

I spit out my water.

"Kate!" Bella whined, jumping up to grab paper towels.

"If 40 people are dying per day that would be 14,600 people per day. And as inhumane as that sounds, it's significantly less than how many people have died in the span of a month." I wiped the water from my mouth. "Regardless, it's still not ethical. Does anyone have connections to the local hospitals?"

Peri nodded. "I can contact them. Why?"

"I'd like the nurses to begin asking patients dying from aneurysms to name every person they know, despite how insignificant they may seem... if someone's name comes up multiple times there a chance we've found the culprit."

Peri nodded. "Rene, go."

Rene stood up, picking up his phone. 

I glanced over at Ryan. "Ryan, can I speak with you privately?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, uh, sure." he stood up. 

I led him to one of the bedrooms in the hotel room, shutting the door behind us. "I'm telling you this because I'm 100% sure you're not Aneri."

He swallowed. "Okay..?"

"I'm highly suspicious of Lyra. Although I'm sure you're already aware of that fact. I sent an FBI Agent to investigate her, and you're the only one I've told, aside from Eui. If you notice any suspicious behavior from Lyra, please report it directly to me and no one else."

"Oh." he blinked. "Okay."

Ryan shifted uncomfortably, glancing around the room as if making sure no one else was listening. The gravity of the situation weighed on him, and his expression grew serious.

"I didn't expect things to escalate like this," he admitted, running a hand through his hair. "But, okay, if you've got an FBI agent looking into Lyra, I'll keep an eye on her. What exactly are we dealing with here?"

I sighed, choosing my words carefully. "I can't explain it all right now, but I need your help. I need someone I can trust to keep an eye on her discreetly."

He nodded, a sense of determination in his eyes. "I'll do what I can. But what do you want me to look for? Anything specific?"

"Unusual behavior, secretive actions, or any connections she might have to the aneurysms," I replied. "We need to find the source of this, and I can't do it alone."

Ryan nodded. "I've got your back. I'll keep an eye on Lyra and let you know if I notice anything off."

"Good," I replied, relieved to have someone I could trust in this situation. Truth be told, I'm not sure how reliable Bella would be. She's smitten for Lyra. "We can't afford any mistakes. Lives are at stake."

As we rejoined the group in the main room, the tension was palpable. Rene had just finished his call with the local hospitals, and the room fell silent as everyone awaited the information.

"The hospitals are on board," Rene announced. "They'll discreetly gather the information you requested, but it might take some time."

I nodded, acknowledging the challenge. "We need to be patient, but we also need to act swiftly. Lives are in danger, and we can't afford to waste any time."