035. periwinkle .

apr. 9, 2024.

2:03 p.m.

"Apologies for being late," I announced, walking into the room and shutting the door behind me. "I had personal matters to attend to."

"Don't worry, sir." Ryan nodded in acknowledgment, pulling out a chair for me. I sat down.

Molly cleared his throat. "Rene said he has information for us about Aneri."

I raised an eyebrow, laying my arms on the desk. Rene exhaled, messing with one of the buttons of his shirt. "I think Aneri made a deal with an apparition."

Everyone in the room shared confused glances, unsure of what to make of the information. We all know apparitions are real from the encounter at The Luxor, but it seems too far-fetched.

"When I was in Lavinia's boundary she offered me a deal," Rene continued. "She said if I killed 40 people per day she'd let me go. And 40 people die due to aneurysms everyday."

Lyra leaned forward, a frown on her face. "So you're saying Aneri is somehow striking deals with supernatural entities to cause deaths?"

Rene nodded. "That's what it seems like. And it's not just random deaths. Aneurysms are a specific type of death that can easily be attributed to natural causes, making it less likely to raise suspicion."

I drummed my fingers on the desk, processing the information. Aneri's methods were becoming more sophisticated and insidious than we had anticipated. Dealing with supernatural entities was a dangerous game, one that could have far-reaching consequences. Seeing how things turned out with V, it's not exactly smart.

"Have we confirmed this information?" I asked, directing my question to Rene.

He shook his head. "Not yet, sir. But I believe it's worth investigating further. If Aneri truly has made a pact with an apparition, it could explain the sudden rise in unexplained deaths."

I cleared my throat. "Molly, try to find someone who specializes in supernatural forces. I never thought I'd be resorting to these tactics, but I think we need to believe anything based on how things are going."

Molly nodded, opening his laptop. He quickly typed away, searching for specialists in supernatural phenomena. After a moment, he looked up with a tentative expression.

"I've found someone," he said, turning the laptop screen to face us. "Dr. Evelyn Sinclair. She's a renowned parapsychologist and has extensive experience in dealing with supernatural entities."

I nodded, impressed. "Good work. Contact her immediately and see if she's available to consult with us."

Molly nodded and started drafting an email. As he worked, I turned my attention back to the group. "If any of you aren't serious about this case, turn around and leave right now. I can't guarantee your lives at this point."

They all stared at me, dumbfounded. Rene squinted his eyes. "With all due respect, chief, I've been caught by an apparition once. I'm in way too far to quit."

"I think that's just a reason to quit." Lyra glared at him.

Rene shrugged. "Maybe for some, but not for me. I'm not about to let Aneri and whatever she's dealing with run rampant without putting up a fight."

Lyra sighed, shaking her head slightly, but her expression softened. "Fine. I'm in too. But let's be clear, we need to proceed with caution. Dealing with the supernatural is unpredictable and dangerous."

I nodded in agreement. "Absolutely. Our priority is to stop Aneri and prevent any further harm, but we must also ensure our own safety. We'll proceed with Dr. Sinclair's guidance once Molly establishes contact."

Molly finished drafting the email and hit send. "I've sent the request. Let's hope she responds quickly."

"Good," I said, leaning back in my chair. "In the meantime, Rene, I want you to gather all the information you have on Aneri's recent activities. We need to establish a clear picture of what we're dealing with."

Rene nodded. "I'll get right on it, sir."