Part Three: After the Storm

---

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" I question Ariana with a laugh as she was currently staring at me with a huge smile on her face.

We were currently on the road, on the way to New York.

"You just make me so happy," She says, finally looking away and out the window, "I don't know how you did it but you managed to turn a shitty day into a good one."

"We've been driving for five hours, love, I haven't done anything," I chuckle, switching my hands on the steering wheel.

"Why is it so hard for you to understand that you're capable of doing good things?" She huffs, grabbing the hand that wasn't on the wheel and intertwining our fingers.

I sigh, "Because I know I'm not a good person. I'm learning to accept that."

"Jayce, it's okay to accept that what happened to you wasn't your fault. You were a kid," She tells me, gently squeezing my hand.

"It's kinda hard to see myself like that when most people are seeing me as nothing but a criminal," I said truthfully.

"Well, if you let me, I'll show you that you're the complete opposite," She says. I take my eyes off of the road for a second to look at her to see her already looking at me.

A small tear slowly falls down my face, "I did nothing in my life to deserve you."

Wiping the tear away, she stares at me with genuine concern, "Trust me, baby, you did everything."

---