24. The Memorial

"Y'all very quiet." Jasper said. No one replied.

We were all in the car and on our way to see Mom for the first time. I didn't know about Tomy but my own nerves were on edge.

"I'm going to call Carlisle." Alice said, pulling out her cell.

"That's a good idea." Jasper agreed. Alice dialed the number and put the phone on speaker.

"Hello Alice. Are you all okay?" Carlisle asked.

"Yes. We're on our way to see Samantha now so we should be with you all soon." Alice replied.

"Well we miss you all."

"We're here." Jasper said, stopping the car outside of a cemetery.

"I'll ring you back, Dad." Alice said before hanging up.

We all got out of the car, walking towards the cemetery.

"Where, Alice?" Jasper whispered.

"Left to the church." She replied. I walked to the gate and pushed it open. We were as silent as we followed Alice through the graves. She stopped at a grave.

The gravestone was a slab of marble. Black. In gold letters was writing. 'Samantha Annie Whitlock. 1847-Unknown. Always cherished.' Jasper put his arm around my shoulders. I reached out and took Tomy's hand.

Alice left for a minute then came back with four white roses in her hand. She gave one to each of us then laid hers down on my mom's grave.

Tomy laid his rose on top of Alice's.

"Love you Mom."

I laid mine down.

"I miss you..." I whispered. Finally Jasper laid down his rose.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you, sis..." He murmured.

"Jasper...? You might want to see this..." I hadn't noticed Alice move but her voice had come from quite far away.

We all looked up but she was gone from sight.

"Come with me." Jasper said. We all followed him to the back of the church.

There was a mix of gravestones and crosses. War memorials. Alice was stood right at the back of them. Over here was marble pots for the soldiers who had been cremated. But there was one gravestone. This was where Alice was stood.

This gravestone was white, swirly marble. The gold lettering said 'Jasper Monroe Whitlock. 1844 - 1863. Son, brother, hero. Once a major, always a major.' In front of the grave was the American flag, wrapped in some plastic covering. On the flag was toys, photos, dead flowers, letters. Although the flowers were dead, the rest were in pristine condition.

Jasper picked up a photo. He then fell to his knees, shaking slightly. Alice placed her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry...." She whispered.

"Just give me a minute." He gasped.

We waited in silence as Jasper caught his breath and composure back. He then stood up.

"It's your stuff Jazz. You can take it if you want." Alice said.

"Yes. I will..." Jasper picked up all the items apart from the dead flowers. He then started to walk back through the war memorials.

I hesitated as we walked past Mom's grave.

"Can I spend five more minutes with Mom?" I asked.

Jasper looked back and nodded.

"We'll meet you at the car." They continued to walk to the gate. I sat down beside my mother's grave, reading and re-reading her gravestone.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my head. I smiled, thinking it was Danny.

But then the hand covered my mouth, making it hard to breathe.

And I saw Danny in front of me, looking pissed off. I tried to perform my talent but my lungs were burning for oxygen.

Danny pounced onto my capturer, pushing me forward ahead of them both. I fell and my head cracked onto my mother's gravestone. I blacked out.

******

I was disorientated. I could hear shouts and cries. I could smell venom tainted blood.

"YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY CHILDREN!" I could hear Jasper. I couldn't hear a reply. I opened my eyes to try to see. All I could see was a beautiful woman. Her blonde hair was waist-length and her eyes were a crystal blue.

"Mom..." I whispered though numb lips.