31.

When I was a kid my dad used to always try to teach me right from wrong

When I was a kid my dad used to always try to teach me right from wrong. Once when I was 10 I stole a giant lollipop from the supermarket. It was one of those oversized one swirled with every color of the rainbow. Sugary goodness crystallized by bold red, stark blue and vibrant purple. We had only enough money on our food stamp card for groceries that would hopefully last us until our next refill in two weeks, and my dad with a downcast tone was forced to tell me no. I was so upset, filled with the kind of anger that only ignorant adolescence can provide. I didn't understand why I wouldn't get it- why he couldn't spare the few extra dollars for me. Every other kid in my grade had been coming in with them proudly displayed in their hands at lunchtime and I was once again the odd one out. Noah offered to share his with me, but I wanted my own. I wanted to fit in for once.

When my dad sent me off to put it back, I instead shoved the sucker into the waistband of my pleated skirt, throwing my pale pink hello kitty graphic tee that I had gotten from the thrift over it - and he was none the wiser as we strolled around and gathered our essentials. Anticipation building in me every time I felt the chaste pinch of the plastic rubbing against my back. We made it all the way home before he noticed it leaking out from under my shirt, and immediately loaded me back in his beat up red truck to return it. The entire ride was silent, as I looked out the window while holding it in my lap. I couldn't understand why he was making me take it back, we were already home and he didn't have to even pay for it. I was crushed, my little heart hammering in my chest as we descended the road towards the save a lot. It was only when we actually pulled into the parking lot that regret began to seep in and my eyes filled with tears too heavy to hold back. The world felt big and scary as I feared the relation of my actions, not wanting to face the consequences of what I had done on an emotional whim.

"Ron, sweetheart" my father spoke with a gentle tone. Willing my eyes from the window over to his stone face. His eyes narrowed in on me, disappointment kissing his features as he placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"I know you wanted it. You want so many things that I can't give you. I wish I could, honey. I do. But you can't just take whatever you want" contrary to his less than pleasant expression, his tone flattened to one that tethered just above a whisper.

  "I'm sorry daddy. I just wanted it so badly" I admit, my lip quivered as I downcast my gaze back to the Loli in my lap.

  He let out a small sigh, his weight being shifted and causing the worn leather beneath him to moan. Time halted for the briefest moment as he stared at me, emotion heavy in the air as my breathing becomes increasingly more shallow. I couldn't understand what the big deal was, why I was being made to take it back. What I could of done that was so wrong, and why I felt so terrible about it as soon as I was caught. When he finally speaks, he sounded distant, the echoing of my heart murmuring his voice out.

  "You need to understand that you can't just do what you want without repercussions, and when you mess up. You need to know how to take accountability"