7- Kill me not

In the corner, a grand library sprawls, its vastness rivaling the castles of yore. My gaze sweeps across its expanse, seeking a beacon in the sea of knowledge. Yet, my search is fruitless.

One tome, however, catches my attention. Its leather-bound cover has a seal - a knight astride a galloping steed, a flag in hand - a symbol growing all too familiar. The book seems as ancient as the cobblestones beneath my feet, and I gingerly turn its pages, fearing they might crumble to dust. A poem within clouds my thoughts, and I find myself flipping back to it, my fingers tracing the elegant calligraphy. The verses stir a sense of déjà vu, but the effort of recollection is too great. I place the book on a nearby chair and seek refuge on the bed.

I spend the rest of the afternoon by myself, badly hoping that this is a dream I am going to wake up from. But the long hours only make me conscious that I am alone in this place. Feeling a sense of loneliness, I sit at the window, to continue with my restless contemplation.

As twilight falls, a tower, previously unnoticed, looms in the distance. Its fiery glow flickers like a beacon in the encroaching darkness. I am transfixed.

The evening breeze, cool and soothing, caresses my skin, a balm on a harsh winter's night. Yet, confusion gnaws at me, sending shivers down my spine.

Sleep soon claims me, a welcome respite from my turmoil. Despite my resistance, the pull is too strong. Resigned, I nestle by the window, drawing the thick quilt closer.

Awakening, I am acutely aware of my surroundings and the lurking danger. Sensing a presence near the table, I spring to my feet, ready for confrontation. The crackling logs in the hearth are my only companions, their warmth failing to penetrate my fear-induced chill.

"What do you want?" I challenge, pointing a pillow at the intruder.

He takes a swig from his bottle and slams the glass onto the table. "If we're to make this believable, we need to put on a good show."

Aldaire! Relief washes over me, and I lower my makeshift weapon. "How long have you been here?" I ask, rubbing my stiff neck.

"You've lit the candles," he observes, his gaze falling on the flickering flames. "It smells like her," he murmurs, taking another sip.

The candlelight dances, casting a warm glow around the room, the scent wafting in the air.

"Is this how you'll always appear? Our mission would've been doomed if you'd given me a heart attack," I retort.

"It's too soon. You could've been easily replaced."

His harsh words sting, and I recoil. His tongue knows only bitterness.

"What a great time for a meeting. Do you need something? Or am I allowed to sleep??"

He remains silent, finishing his drink with a final gulp. The sound echoes in the room as he sets the bottle down. The chair screeches in protest as he rises, leaving me alone once more.

Relief floods me as the door closes behind him. I throw the pillow at him, pretending it has hit him. Frustration seeps in as I run a hand through my hair. Is this the life I have always led? Am I content with it all? Though my memory is hazy, I am certain I would never abandon my family, if I have one... much less betray my kingdom. Deep down, I know I am virtuous, and such treachery is beyond me.

After securing the door and the window with a heavy iron bolt, I surrender to sleep without much resistance.

The morning doesn't resemble a typical dawn. Silvery skies cast a pall over the kingdom, and I hesitate to leave the sanctuary that has been my refuge.