𝐗𝐈. nobodies and killer sheep

CHAPTER XI
nobodies and killer sheep

   THE CYCLOPS'S ISLAND WAS NOTHING like how Scarlett imagined

THE CYCLOPS'S ISLAND WAS NOTHING like how Scarlett imagined. Usually when you think, 'monster island', you picture bones or craggy rocks scattered on the beach, like the island of the Sirens. The Cyclops's island was the complete opposite of that.

  Besides the rope bridge across the chasm (did not seem like a good sign), the island looked like a place from a Caribbean postcard. There were green fields, tropical fruit trees, and white beaches. As they sailed toward the shore, Annabeth breathed in the sweet air. "The Fleece," she said.

  Scarlett nodded, feeling the Fleece's power, strong enough to feel without seeing. It could heal anything — even Thalia's poisoned tree.

  "If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy questioned.

  Annabeth shook her head. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is."

  In the meadow at the base of the ravine, dozens of sheep were milling around. They seemed peaceful enough, but they were huge—the size of hippos. Near them was a path that led up to the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree, with something gold glittering in its branches.

  "This is too easy," Percy stated. "We could just hike up there and take it?"

  Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "There's supposed be a guardian. A dragon or . . ."

  That's when a deer emerged from hiding in the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, looking for grass to eat, when the sheep rushed at the animal all at once. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled, lost in a sea of wool and trampling hooves. Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air. A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wanderings. Where the deer had been was a pile of clean white bones.

  The demigods exchanged very worried looks.

  "They're like piranhas," Scarlett said.

  Percy furrowed his brow. "Piranhas with wool. How will we—"

  "Guys!" Annabeth gasped, grabbing Scarlett's arm. "Look."

  She pointed down the beach, to just below the sheep meadow, where a small boat had been run aground . . . the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham.

  THERE WAS NO WAY they could get past those man-eating sheep. Annabeth and Scarlett both suggested they turn invisible to grab the Fleece, but Percy convinced them something would go wrong. The sheep would smell them, or another guardian would appear. Both valid points.

Besides that, their first priority was finding Grover, and whoever got ashore on the life boat — assuming they survived the sheep. There could be a possibility they'd find Tyson alive too.