𝐗. heard the risk is drowning, but i'm gonna take it

CHAPTER X
heard the risk is drowning,
but i'm gonna take it

CHAPTER Xheard the risk is drowning, but i'm gonna take it

THEY SAILED THROUGH THE NIGHT on Queen Anne's Revenge. As it turned out, Percy was actually a pretty good sailor. He knew what ropes to hoist, which way to steer, and the ship responded to his every command.

The girls tried to help him keep a look out, but sailing didn't like them very much. After a few hours of back and forth, Annabeth's face turned the color of guacamole — so Scarlett didn't even want to think about the color her own face looked like. They went below the ship to lie down in the hammock, and get some sleep.

But of course, Scarlett couldn't sleep. After what felt like the hundredth time tossing and turning, she went back up to the deck. She guessed it was probably around midnight, seeing how dark it was.

  Percy was leaning on the railings, watching the horizon. He seemed exhausted.

"Hey Scar," Percy greeted, without even turning his attention from the ocean.

"How'd you know it was me?" Scarlett asked curiously, walking next to him.

He shrugged, then looked at her. "Just a guess. Can't sleep?"

"Nope." She shook her head.

They fell into a comfortable silence for a few moments, then Percy spoke up. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Literally everything that happened today. Scylla dropping us, almost drowning in the ocean, then getting turned into that stupid fucking guinea pig—" Percy gripped the railing tighter, then closed his eyes taking a deep breath. "And with Tyson gone . . ."

"None of that was on you," Scarlett shook her head, firmly disagreeing with him. "You couldn't have known any of that was gonna happen."

"I know, but still . . ." Percy sighed, clearly still bothered by it.

"Look, Tyson chose to do what he did. He did that to save us," Scarlett reminded. "I chose to follow you because I wasn't gonna let you get yourself killed."

Percy nodded solemnly. "I'm still sor—"

"If you're gonna say sorry one more time, I'm gonna throw you overboard."

Percy finally cracked a smile, shaking his head amusedly. "Okay fine."

As they watched the ocean, they saw Nereids, glowing lady spirits of the see. Percy tried to wave at them, but they disappeared into the depths of the water. Whether they saw them or not was unclear.

Moments later, Annabeth joined them, just as they were passing a smoking volcano. The sea bubbled around the show.

"One of the forges of Hephaestus," Annabeth explained. "Where he makes his metal monsters."