第十八

warnings: none

"Is this dramatic entrance really necessary? 'Specially with the smoke and all," you say to Ego with a deadpan expression, he had always been unnecessarily dramatic but this was something else. "I find joy in the little things," he stated blankly and you almost laughed before nodding your head. 'I suppose so," you murmur as one of your hands rest in your pocket. The two of you remained silent as you stood in front of the door before you spoke up again, "how long will we just have to be standing here?"

"3 more seconds," Ego said as he blinked and you ran your fingers through your hair and sigh. You heard a 'beep' sound and you figured that was your cue to walk through the door. The door opened, a bit of smoke coming out as you and Ego stepped out of it. You were busy staring at your nails with a bored expression as you stood by Ego's side.

"Howdy, you lumps of talents...Is this the second time we've met face-to-face? Nice to see you," Ego speaks up, twirling his iPad in his fingers. As you look up from your nails, you scan the room, noticing many expressions in awe of the appearance and a few of confusion as they look at you, wondering what part you're playing by standing next to him.

Ego speaks up again, gathering the attention of everyone in the room, "first, let's redefine this. 'Soccer is a game of scoring points.' Goals...determine a striker's worth. So in the third selection...I-" You side-eye him, 'this asshole better gimme credit for this too.'

"With the help of (Y/N), have created a team centred around those with the highest scoring probability," you let out a breath of relief because something told you he would've referred to you as 'and company'. You look forward, looking at the nervous gazes of everyone here as Ego continues on talking. "Now prepare yourselves and listen up. We're going to announce the eleven players who will take on the Japanese U20 team."

This was your part. "First. Is the top player in the compound," you speak out as you look at everyone and Ego presses a button to display Rin's icon on screen. "Itoshi Rin," you announce. "He will be playing as centre forward. With the average of 2.5 goals per match, he'll be the crux of this team. We'll use a specialised attack-heavy formation."

"For a team made entirely of strikers, we have no other means of victory. Successive destruction, it's up to you to embody that theme from the vanguard," Ego says, pushing his glasses back into its original position as it had slid off. "And the remaining ten players that are going to be announced, will be bullets who facilitate the escalation of the destruction."

"For the goalkeeper, we have Gagamaru Gin," you say, locking your gaze onto the said boy as he looked at his icon on screen with a bit of shock. "Your explosive ball response, your flexibility. You continued a number of physical abilities that make you the most suitable keeper," Ego explains, also looking at Gagamaru. You crack your neck as you continue on with the announcements, "as far our two center backs. We have Aryu Jubei and Niko Ikki."

"Aryu is a right centre back who can overwhelm opponents with his height and reach. Niko being a left centre back with an intellect that allows him to excel at stealing the ball and reading the field," Ego says, playing with his iPad before it shows a hologram of the layout on players announced so far. "And then, we will need those who control the sides with their speed and technique. The right wingback, Chigiri Hyoma, and the left wingback, Bachira Meguru," you continue as you try to resist a yawn but yawn either way.

"As for the defensive line...this player will be able to switch to the front line. Karasu Tabito," you say as you look at him and he stares at you in response before looking at Ego. "With the best ball-keeping ability in blue lock, and the analytical power to see goal opportunities, you will play the role of the heart," Ego continues as he taps his iPad once more.