Longing

Jimin's heavy breaths create smoke out of her parted lips in a huff. She looks down at the soccer ball a few feet in front of her, then back up towards the net. Three more deep breaths, her body leans forward until her feet run towards the ball, kicking it skillfully into the top right corner of the net.

Unsatisfied, she cracks her neck.

Turning on her heel, she takes four wide steps back to her starting point, focusing her eyes on the next soccer ball.

"Come on, Jimin."

The next ball bounces off of the crossbar.

"Fuck." Jimin curses, her voice echoing around the field.

The sun still hasn't risen, so she wasn't too worried about being a disturbance to anyone.

Jimin looks down at the last ball in front of the goal. Her confidence was nowhere to be found. Shoulders rise and fall with every deep breath she inhales and exhales, a fire burning up inside of her. Anger? Disappointment? She picks the ball up from the floor, tossing it up in the air and kicking it as hard as she could across the field.

Her feet start to move, jogging towards the end of the fields for her morning run. That'll surely clear her head.

Jimin felt off today. Like nothing was going the way she wanted, and that it was going to be like that for a very long time. It was frustrating.

What was it?

Was it the way she started her morning? Did she wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Jimin clenches her teeth as her feet start to run faster, picking up her pace. A ripping scream comes from the pit of her stomach, echoing throughout the gymnasium. Jimin's feet start to slow down, her chest feeling slightly lighter from the relief that scream gave her.

"Yu Jimin!"

Her ears perk up at the familiar voice. Her light jog comes to a halt and she turns around to see Minjeong waiting behind the fence that separates the field and the bleachers.

Minjeong had her hands comfortably stuffed in her hoodie pocket, shoulders slightly raised as she shivered from the cold early morning air. Her hair is cuddled up beneath the hood of her jacket that sits atop her head. She looked so soft and absolutely adorable.

Jimin smiles at her subtly.

She looks down at her watch and checks the time. It was still early.

6:10am, December 20th—

Oh.

December 20th.

How could she have forgotten?

Has it really been three years?

"Yu Jimin, I'm cold."

Her eyes blink towards Minjeong who had walked around the fence to start making her way towards Jimin.

Three years. Today.

Jimin's eyes start to sting as her heart starts to feel longing.

Maybe that's why today felt weird.

"Hey," Minjeong's worried eyes become more noticeable once she was up close. "What's wrong?"

A warm hand cups Jimin's cheek and she feels a pang at her chest that causes the ripple of ache through her whole body. Her breath hitches into a sob, and it was too late for Jimin to prevent her cries.