Chapter Twenty-One

"Babygirl you okay?"

The worried tone in my mates voice pulled me from my thoughts, I'd been combing through the files and briefcase we'd collected from the hotel and had yet to find anything that might hint at what information Alpha Russell had on Romans ex mate. So far the scumbag wasn't saying a word and beating the crap out of him was getting us nowhere. Besides that there were so many things bothering me about him.

"Somethings not right Ro, I've been through these files over and over and I can't find a shred of useful info, not to mention every call I make to his pack goes unanswered. I thought by now his Beta at least would be looking for him, somethings just not right"

I was so lost in my thoughts and ramblings I didn't notice Roman lifting me out of his office chair before sitting down and placing me into his lap until I felt his lips press against my mark and my mind went blank.

"You need to take a break, that scumbag is locked up and I've sent a team to make contact with his pack now put the files down and come with me"

Though I still had so many questions that needed answering Romans large hands kneading at my lower back had me complying immediately. I let him lift me from his lap and lead me out of his office, his arm secured firmly around my waist.

"Seth wants to have a cookout to officially welcome Kayli back into the pack so tonight no more working, no more going through files. Tonight baby girl you relax"

At the mention of Kayli's name I instantly felt guilt rush up on me. We'd been home for two days now and I hadn't even bothered to properly meet Seth's mate, how awful was I

"Don't worry baby, she understands you have a lot on your plate now come on"

His simple words offered a lot of comfort and just as I was snuggling further into his arms Seth and Kayli appeared from around the corner.

"Wow he actually managed to drag you from that office"

Seth chuckled while Kayli stood sheepishly behind him, her body half hidden behind his.

"Yeah I'm sorry guys, I guess I got carried away"

Though she seemed to relax a little Kayli still kept her self partially behind her mate eyeing me with a slightly weary stare.

Seth caught her up on everything since the day we met and she's a little afraid of you, especially after the way she spoke to you the other day

As Romans voice filled my head the reasoning for her being guarded beame clear.

"Hey Kayli, look I know we got off to a bad start the other day so how about we start fresh and I promise whatever Cruella said about me, I'm really not that bad"

At that she let out a giggle and finally stepped around Seth to come closer

"Of course Luna, I'd love that and don't worry I know Seth likes to stretch the truth sometimes. Like one time when we were 15 he told the Roman and Dean that I let him cop a feel when in reality he tripped and elbowed me in the boob"

Seth looked downright embarrassed as she told me her story and I couldn't help laugh at his red face. I could definitely see her and I being good friends. Linking arms with her I lead her past the guys and down the hallway with them trailling behind us.

"Dude whose idea was it to put those two together? They've only just met properly and I'm already worried"

Kayli smirked at Seths statement and gave him a quick glance over her shoulder

"Honey I'm only just getting started, I have a lot of stories to tell"

At that a low growl rumbled through both our mates which did nothing more than make Kayli and I laugh.