4

Kuyili

We attained our destination around midnight and due to the travel exhaustion, we both dozed off immediately. I was a bit oblivion and confused as I woke up the subsequent dawn in a new environment.

A while later, Father brought me breakfast and tea from outside as we had yet to purchase all the necessary utensils, groceries, and other complementary supplements.

Post the breakfast, the said essentials were arranged by my father and were delivered to our apartment. And I soon did the first thing that every people does as soon as they occupy a new dwelling, that is, letting the milk boil and bubble up.

I don't exactly know the reason behind it but everyone does it, hence I'm doing it too. I believe this norm denotes a good beginning.

Once the milk rises, I lower the heat and add the rice and moong dal to the milk to prepare white pongal and share it with our flat neighbor.

After about thirty minutes, I was done cooking the dish and couldn't help but thrust two spoons of the same into my mouth. It's yummy...

"Appa, try this!" I rush to my father who was fitting the new television in the lounge and forward a spoonful of pongal into his mouth

"Appa, try this!" I rush to my father who was fitting the new television in the lounge and forward a spoonful of pongal into his mouth. "How is it appa?" I curiously ask and he nods his head appreciatively but then it strikes me that he has diabetes and this idiotic me had failed to recollect it as a result of my excitement.

"Ayoo appa! You have diabetes, why didn't you stop me when I offered the pongal?" I ask with a frown. "One spoon wouldn't do any harm ma," I squint my eyes at him and I could discern his cravings to have another spoonful of pongal. But his health comes first before his desire and so I shield the bowl behind me.

"Stop making that puppy face appa...Get back to setting up the television go..." I scold him and saunter to the main door without glancing back at him. "Where are you going?" I turn the knob of the door and reply to him simultaneously as I shuffle out and face his direction, "To share the Pongal with our neighbor appa, I'll be back shortly," he nods at me and I shut the door softly.

Swirling myself around, I take a few steps ahead to the neighborhood whose apartment is right opposite ours. I press the calling bell installed beside the door and wait patiently while humming a song. It has become one of my habits to sing automatically without my knowledge whenever I'm bored or am silent.

After a couple of minutes, when I still don't receive any reaction to the calling bell from my neighbor, I resort to knocking on the door.

Was none inside the flat? Had they gone out to work or something?

With one last knock, I decided to stop the action but that's when the door slid open and reveals a quite tall man. Indeed, If I'm 5'2, an average-height male will obviously tower over me.

Slowly gliding my eyes up, I meet a rather deranged human who isn't hesitating a tiny bit to showcase his displeasure on his face. Did I disturb him??

Anyways, now that he has exposed himself to my eyes, I naturally began to analyze his appearance within my brain. He has dark skin, a lean posture with needed muscles, and a countenance that is fertile with facial hair growth that I couldn't even make out his face clearly. He looks like someone who's going through a post-break-up period.

He has dreamy eyes...

I like that feature.

"Hello! I'm Kuyili. I and my appa have occupied the flat ac--" and he closes the door on my face, harshly, with a bang.

Meanwhile, I stand there with my lips parted, shocked and humiliated by his rudeness.

I might have disturbed him while he was busy but how could he act so mean?

He spoiled my mood!

Twitching my lips, I saunter back to my flat. "Did they not accept the pongal?" Father questions as I perch on the couch with the Pongal on my lap. "No appa, the neighbor has diabetes too, so he declined the offering," I lie while my father shakes his head, feeling for our neighbor.

"And you know appa, he is quite young to be diagnosed with diabetes, poor fellow..." My enraged mind pushes me to further attest, and a twisted satisfaction impacts my brain as I start to consume the Pongal.

Cranky fellow. He surely missed this delicious food. The loss is his!

With such a person as my neighbor, how am I going to spend my time here merrily? Well, I believe I could lead my coming days happily If I just avoid seeing this arrogant person.

I do know people like him exist but this is my first time coming across one.

Sighing, I completed the Pongal all by myself and contacted my brothers. After conversing with them for a while, I disconnected and initiated to cook the lunch. Dad was now in his room and appeared to be engaged in a serious call with someone.

Post the lunch, I started to clean up the kitchen and then unpack my clothes and arrange it orderly on the shelf while singing a song.

Finishing the same, I lay down on the mattress and stared up at the ceiling, calmly and blissfully. I think I really needed this shift. I definitely miss my brothers and relatives but I just love this new start...

I finally have a room of my own and I feel so free!

Rolling over the bed, I gaze at the dawn of the dusk, with an overwhelmingly serene heart.

I hope to live my life to the fullest in the subsequent days and most importantly, I wish to never clash, not even accidentally with that grumpy neighbor.

Hm, Devdas would be the right nickname for him.