38

Out of context, but listen to the song above If you haven't yet, one of the finest songs ❤️

Kuyili

I'm done.

I'm fine with whatever life has decided for me.

I've caused enough damage to my loved ones and henceforth, I'll remain as a good daughter to my Father. I'll do as he says. I'm okay with being a puppet.

The way Vishwa behaved today, I realized how deeply he'd been hurt by my reckless acts. I pursued him even when he opposed it. It was all my fault from the beginning. Even though I showered him with my love for a short while, the permanent wound I left on him takes the lead. I saw it today in his eyes. He wants to stay as far as possible from me. He doesn't want me anymore...

I'm being a hypocrite, aren't I? When I decided to part ways with him, I knew this would be the consequence...but when it actually transpires, I could hardly handle it.

But It's fine though. I've gotten some clarity now.

I want him to be happy and If me being away from him makes him pleased in his new lifestyle, I'll do that. I won't go looking for him again. Let him be in peace...it's the least I could do for him.

Currently, I'm in my room, lying on the bed numbly. "Kuyil," I raise my head and sit on the bed when I see my Father entering.

"I have happy news for you," I look at him blankly but form a small smile on my lips. "What is it?" I query softly.

"You are getting engaged soon," He states, his face glimmering in delight. I wasn't surprised, neither was I feeling upset. I couldn't feel anything.

"Okay appa," I nod at him.

"Don't you want to know who the person is?" I shake my head at him. "I'll marry whoever you point your fingers to. I don't really want to know who it is. I'll see him in the engagement anyway," I respond tiredly and curled up on the bed.

"I'm feeling sleepy appa, let's talk some other time," I mumble as I drag the blanket and cover my body.

Father doesn't say anything further and after a few seconds, I attend to his retreating footsteps.

I'll be completely out of Vishwa's life soon.

Days passed by and Appa informed me that my engagement would be conducted within two days. He took me to our native and I quietly went with him. Even when I reached my house, I isolated myself and kept myself busy by reading my academic-related books.

No one disturbed me and I didn't bother to start a conversation with any of them as well.

The night before my engagement came by and I stayed wide awake till late 2 am, unsettled and crushed. It took me a while to calm myself and fall into slumber. This was how my life was supposed to be. To marry the person my father chooses for me...

In the subsequent morning, our house was bustled with our relatives. Chats and laughter were abundant. Yet I, the important one in this function, was nothing but devastated. The beautician helped me drape a dark blue silk saree and did minimal makeup as per my request. I was adorned with jewels and was brought to the living room of our home.

Two wide mats were laid in opposite directions and I was made to sit in one of them. My family and relatives perched around me. I kept my gaze down and tuned off myself from reality.

Moments passed by and plates filled with fruits and sweets were exchanged. And then I was ushered to stand up and Father gave me a ring to offer the groom.

I absentmindedly grabbed the guy's palm to slide the ring inside but it was familiar...these fingers...

I lifted my head and there he was, Vishwa. In a white button-up shirt and black pants, he stood there, in front of me, cooly.

What the hell??

I snapped my head in Father's direction and he just smiled at me and nodded assuringly. Tears of happiness flowed down my cheeks and I went ahead and embraced my father tightly. Everyone was perplexed by my showcase of affection but I couldn't care less about anyone now...it's unbelievable that he accepted us.

"Po ma," (go ahead) he kisses the top of my head and sends me back to Vishwa. I gave him a narrowed-eye look and slid the ring on his finger with an annoyed expression on my face.

He knew he was going to be engaged with me, so why couldn't he inform me earlier? I wouldn't have been feeling awful all these days.

Afterward, Vishwa puts the ring on my finger and asks lowly, "How was the surprise?" I lend him a furious look. It wasn't a surprise, it was a shock!

A good one though...

After some rituals, we were escorted to have food and I kept on wondering If I was in a realistic dream?

"Appa epd samathichaaru? Epd..." (How did father agree? How?)I questioned Vishwa who was next to me.

"He couldn't bear to see you losing yourself, Kuyil. He met me one day and we discussed the matter. You know, he's really worried for you. He repeatedly asked me to take good care of you and he even told me the reason why he initially had so much hatred for me. You see, If his daughter marries a divorcee, people will assume that the girl has some defects, which is why she's married as a secondhand to someone. Your father asserted it to be his utmost concern for not letting you marry me...which is completely a valid reason," heeding his words, my heart oozed with love for my Father.

"I'm sorry I hurt you that day...I was trying to move on and when you again started it all over, I couldn't stand it," I nod at him understandingly.

"The fault is on my part as well, Vishwa. I initiated our break up and it was stupid of me to come back to you and ask for mending it again," I reply, looking into his eyes.

"Do you hate me, Vishwa?" He frowns at my query. I have got this fear because I abandoned him and went back to my father. Doesn't that give the impression that I don't truly love him? And Vishwa said that he was even trying to move on...

"Aaama Kuyil, enaku unna suthama pudikala. Athnalathaan itho...unna kalayanam pannika poren..." (Yes Kuyil, I despise you and see, that's why I'm going to marry you,) I blink at him while he smacks the back of my head.

"What?" I hiss, furrowing my eyebrows at him.

"That was to make your brain work properly," He smacks again and I do it back harshly. "Paavi...valikuthu d," (Sinner, that hurts) I stick my tongue out to him.

"Podi.." (Just go) he dismisses me and resumes to have the food while I look at him, adoringly.

Nothing's changed between us.

_________________________