33

Kuyili

The next day, everyone acted pleasant while I kept sulking. It felt like someone had locked me up in a cage. It was suffocating being here. And when everyone smiles at me, behaves normally, I could feel a burning fire within me. My wish...my love, it didn't matter to anyone. No one cares about it.

After having breakfast, I perch on the Veranda, peeping at the greeneries around me in a downcast mood. Gaining my attention, a tall guy, fit and perfect in shape and brownish skin, walks into our gate as he hops down his jeep. He looks terrifying and rude. Could it be him?

I gulp, feeling dread fill my stomach as he glances towards me. He kept watching me until he entered my house. Father has already chosen this guy. Then how would he ever accept Vishwa!? There's no way...

He held conversation with my family and my father was flashing his teeth at him all the while. I observed everything silently through the window and bit by bit, I lost my hope, completely.

He's going to marry me off to him. He's a police officer, single, and probably someone Appa knows well.

Minutes later, the guy departs and he lends me a smile before doing so. I should've talked to him. But he didn't seem to be the soft type who would help me by saying no to this marriage.

He gives off the vibe of an rowdy even though he's a police.

Does Father seriously want me to marry this guy over my sweet Vishwa? What is he thinking?

I know my Vishwa, we love each other, we understand each other and I'm a hundred percent sure that he'll take good care of me. Then why would I want to marry someone that I don't even know...

What does Father think of me!?

My head becomes hot as thoughts run wild in my mind. Father's inconsiderate attitude is hurtful. My feelings...why doesn't he get it? Why doesn't he respect it?

What am I? A nodding doll to everybody in this house?

I feel immeasurable wrath and disappointment. I don't like it here.

Vishwa

I, Amma, Appa, and Vaibhav reached Kuyil's house at noon. My mother had a vibrant smile on her face as she was confident that Kuyil's Father would approve of our marriage. Her positivity made me feel stronger as well. I will not let go of Kuyil.

She showed me paradise, how true love feels. She painted my dark life with colors and I, Vishwa, vow to keep her happy till the end of my life.

Upon discerning our presence, the people in the house come out. My eyes instinctively look for Kuyil and just as I spot her, she smiles widely at me.

"That is Vishwa!" Kuyil says to the young guy standing beside her. He looks at me, judgingly and darts his view to his side where Kuyil's Father exists.

With his expression, I'm certain that this is not going to end well.

"If you're here to ask my daughter's hand in marriage, then no, that's not going to happen. She's already engaged to someone else and her wedding will be conducted within a few weeks," my eyes broaden in shock at the news.

"They don't even have the manners to call us inside their home and discuss. What kind of family is this Anna?" Vaibhav says with hatred. Well, he's right.

"But did you ask for your daughter's consent?" My mother speaks up, boldly. "My daughter will do as I say," Kuyil's Father presses and looks at my mother, condescendingly. I frown, furious at his demeanor.

We're no less than him for him to look down upon us.

"She will, what do you think of her as?" I question, casting my eyes towards Kuyil. She steps down the stairs of the veranda but her father grasps her arms, holding her back.

"Look, your concern is valid. You don't want to marry your daughter off to a divorcee, fine, I get it. But why rush her into getting married? Give her some time. Let her grow," I express, staring determinedly at him.

"You don't have a say in when and whom I marry my daughter off to. Get out of here," his disrespect made me fierce. Has he gone insane??

He's forcing his daughter to marry someone else out of spite! Doesn't he trust her? It wouldn't take Kuyil long before she toss her family aside and comes to me. But she's not acting on it because of the love and regard she has for her father. However his current actions...he's changing her heart and he doesn't even seem to realize it.

"Are you out of your mind!?" I yell at him, done with bearing his attitude.

"Kaiya vidunga pa!" (Leave my hand) Kuyil breaks her Father's grip and runs to me. None stopped her. The other two men in her family stood silent while her Father stormed down towards her in indignation.

When he comes to pull her to him, I move Kuyil to my side and entwine my fingers with hers.

"Kuyil, come!" Her father demands, but Kuyil shakes her head at him, negatively. The man before me frowns, exasperated. "You choose him over your own Father!?" He asks sourly. Kuyil doesn't answer but grabs my arm, giving him a befitting reply wordlessly.

The angry man appears broken now and I felt bad for him. He caused this...

"Idiot! I've never seen someone as ungrateful as you! He raised you all alone and remained unmarried all these years, taking care of you and you are ready to leave him for a person you know for a few months? Odambu sogam kaekutho!?(All for your bodily desires!?)" Kuyil burst into tears at her grandma's last words and I looked at the old woman with disgust.

Her words pasted a sickening expression on everyone's countenance. "Let her go. I stayed unmarried because I love my wife. And I don't regret it and I'll never do. It has nothing to do with her. Pogatum amma, vidunga (She shall go with him, leave her)" Her father states coldly and backs off.

"Poidu, apdiyae poidu..." (Go, just go) His words prompted more tears to leak out of Kuyil's eyes but she didn't leave my side.

"I don't have a daughter anymore. Take her away and never let your faces be in my sight ever again..." He mutters conclusively and marches inside his home.

"Get inside. She's not our family," he shouts, and all his family members go inside with varied expressions of sorrow on their countenances.

Kuyil takes a step forward but stops and falls down to her knees, weeping unstoppably. She cannot convince her father anymore. She knew it. Everyone knew it and hence she mourned in agony and I embraced her to me.

___________________________