32

Vishwa

I couldn't stay alone in the apartment anymore. Hence I vacated and decided to go to my hometown. I requested my manager to lend me leave for two days and fortunately, he permitted it. Then I boarded the train that leads to my birthplace. It's been years since I'd been there.

On the way, my friends contacted me but I wasn't in the mood to answer them. Thus I dismissed their calls and leaned back on the train seat, dejectedly staring at the passing scenarios.

I want to talk to Kuyil but there's no means for me to reach out to her. Her mobile was turned off. I even contacted her Father but he didn't pick up the call as well. It was obvious that he'd taken her away from me.

What should I do now? I don't know.
If I somehow found their house and went there, how much is the probability that they would let me in, have solid conversations, and agree to marry her to me?

It's zero.

The only way I can acquire her is by going to her home with my family. Even though the chances are still minimal, out of courtesy, they wouldn't turn us back.

It was around 9 pm when I reached my home. It was a traditional one, located inside a nature-nourished area. The night breeze was chill as I stood outside after knocking on the door. It was my brother who unlocked the door.

He was shocked.

He rubs his eyes and then blinks at me. "It's really you?" Disregarding him, I brush him aside and saunter inside. "Who is it Vaibhav??" I heed Amma's call from the kitchen and I've no idea why I was getting so sensitive all of a sudden. It's not like I missed her or something...

Or did I?

"Amma! Appa! Anna is here!" Vaibhav screams happily, causing my parents to rush out of the kitchen. Wailing, Amma ran towards me and hugged me tightly. "Forgive me, please forgive your mother," she sobbed, wetting my shirt with her tears. I couldn't stand it.

"It's okay," I pat her head, and she pulls back, cups my cheeks and cries again. "Amma..." Her weeping increased at my call. Taking me aback, she fell to my feet and I quickly moved back. "I ruined your life Vishwa...forgive me," she mutters, crying endlessly.

"Amma, it's over, calm down," I kneeled in front of her and attempted to comfort her but she was too absorbed with herself to listen to me.

"Amma, her name is Kuyili," abruptly, her cries die down and she sees me, perplexed. Vaibhav and my father react the same way and I help my mother up to stand before disclosing to them about Kuyili.

Mother was too pleased and was ready to visit her house right away. Father remained silent, meaning, he was okay with it too. And my brother? He was over the moon, genuinely happy for me.

I told them all about Kuyil's family and how strict her father is but mother took it all as a simple matter. Her attitude was understandable. She wanted to see me married and live merrily and for that, she would do anything.

But, the question is, will Kuyil's father give in? Will my mother be able to talk him out of his denial?

Kuyili

I rose with a mild headache. I must have fainted due to the exhaustion from the mental stress. Not wholly though. Appa's final blow caused my mind to shut down. I never anticipated him to hit me and here he has hit me twice already.

Will he ever realize that with each of his hits, he's causing me to hate him more and more!?

Hissing slightly, I slip off the bed and walk outside the room. The living room was empty. I could heed chats from the veranda and I tiptoe cautiously to the entrance. Everyone was there, arguing with one another and having conflicts.

Frowning, I back off quietly and saunter inside Appa's room. He must've kept my phone somewhere inside here. I checked carefully and eventually spotted it under his pillow.

It was switched off!

Turning it on, I slowly, without making much noise, got back into my room and entered the restroom. As soon as the lock screen appeared, I  applied my pattern and contacted Vishwa.

Within two rings, he accepted the call.

"Vish," I whisper, not wanting to drag the attention of any of my family members. "Kuyil," he utters, relieved.

"I'm sorry...Appa forced me out of the apartment and brought me to our hometown. He took away my mobile too," I speak quickly and clearly.

I feel less afraid now. I have this newborn vigor within me and I don't know why. I don't even have the urge to cry anymore. I despise this family...I do not like how they behave with me. If they trigger me more, I wouldn't even hesitate to elope away from here. Initially, I loathed such ideas but with everything that's happening around me, I couldn't help but be entertained by those options.

I wanted to marry Vishwa with my Father's permission. But by the way he acts, I don't think he would ever agree and the fact that it's impossible to have him accept us, makes my mind depend on some immoral means to unite with Vishwa.

"I guessed it, Kuyil. Hang on, okay? I will come there with my parents and ask for your hands in marriage. I've just reconciled with my parents and I'm in Theni now. Message me your address in the messenger. I'll come there as soon as possible," a sad smile pulls at my lips at his utterances. He sounds determined and it made me feel strong.

"I'll do that, Vish. But what If my father doesn't agree? He slapped me twice today when I stated that I'll marry only you. I don't think it's easy to get his assent..." I trail off and sigh in defeat.

"He hit you??" Vishwa booms. "Yes, and I got another one from grandmother. Appa's second slap was so powerful that I fainted Vish..." I say in a comedic tone while Vish fumes on the other side. "What do they think of you as??" I chuckle softly before responding.

"That's fine. But do you know something Vish, the cruel they act with me, the less fear I bear over them. I even had a thought to come to you without my family's consent. And it's unsettling Vish. If you ask me to come with you, I'll just do it without a second thought. But I don't like that me Vish. Am I selfish and ungrateful? Do I not love my Father? Why is it so easy for me to leave them and choose you?" I spill out my doubts and stay torpid.

"Kuyil...do not take any reckless decisions, okay!? And what you feel now is normal. When we genuinely love someone or something, we cross all limits to get it, that's how humans are...and with your family's abuse, it's natural that you develop a grudge to go against them. But that's not right, Kuyil. This feeling will pass. Be calm, I'll come there and get you," at his advice, my mood lightens up.

"Vaanga...seekram vaanga. Vanthu kootidu ponga," (Come, come soon, come and take me with you,) I say in a singsong way, inducing a chuckle from Vishwa.

"Vaaraen...seekram vaaraen, seekram vanthu kootitu poren," (I'll come, I'll come soon, and I'll take you with me) I smile at his imitation of my words...

After a while, we disconnected the call and I hurriedly typed the address and sent it to Vishwa. And I switched the mobile off again and placed it in Appa's room.

Feeling hungry, I then allocated food for myself on a plate and settled in the living room. As I began consuming the food, I attended to their conversation and stopped eating midway upon registering their words.

They were talking about my marriage. Father says that he has someone in mind and he's a police officer as well...

No...don't do that, don't make me despise you more.

__________________________