15

Kuyili

Once reaching our destination, I unlocked my neighbor's flat door as the key was with me, and followed him inside. He seems to be in pain and I worriedly stalk behind him until he plops himself on the couch and touches his head.

"The medicines?" He queries lowly and I quickly retrieve his medications from my bag, perching them over the table that sits in front of the couch.

As I did that so, he was about to stand on his feet but I halted him and acquired him water from the kitchen. He swallows the painkiller tablet after grabbing the glass of water and gives me a look. "You know, I do understand that you feel remorseful for what you did to me. But I can take of myself, Kuyili. Thanks for the care..." I blink at him, my mind blank as I search for words to respond to him.

He has a point but my conscience wouldn't let me be at peace If I minded my own business after hurting my neighbor to this extreme. He wouldn't get it even If I said it out. Still, I'll give it a try.

"But the doctor told you to take good rest, mister. If you want to go back to your normal life soon, then you should let me look after you. Besides all that, I truly do want to repent for what I did, and helping you with your recovery will put me at ease so please don't refuse...please?" I plead, staring at him with hope. Meanwhile, he shakes his head and suddenly hisses in pain.

Upon seeing his state, my resolution to take care of him strengthens.

"Kuyili, there's no need for you to take care of me. I'm not a kid...get out," he says all this while clutching his head. The audacity of him!

Well, sweetness wouldn't work on him. I'll use my darker self. "Mister," I take three steps forward and lean towards him, catching him off guard as he slants backward on the couch.

With slightly widened eyes, he watches me, stunned. As If wordlessly asking me...' what the hell do you think you are doing Kuyili??'

"Kids are not the only ones who deserve to be taken care of. A helpless adult could be subjected to the same treatment as well. Especially when they have had their head sliced open and stitched back," I speak in a tough tone and position my hands on either side of his head against the couch, locking him.

By now, my neighbor appears to reel back to normalcy and has an unreadable expression on his face. Cold and dark? Perhaps, I went overboard? Then I should put a full stop as swiftly as possible before he gets more furious.

"I want you to cooperate and permit me to look after you, okay." He raises both of his eyebrows, cooly. "And If not? What happens?" He asks mellowly while I squint my eyes at his persistent demeanor.

"That's not a request. It's an order, mister," He chuckles at my words.

"I'm not being funny here...I..."

Ohh, my god!!

What the fuck??

Ooooo!!!

*Loud gasps*

Heeding all this different noises, my body reacts in terror and loses balance, prompting me to fall over my neighbor. My eyes broaden as I find myself perched against his lap as he throws his arms around my waist protectively.

That was not in my plan...

Regaining myself, I rapidly pull myself up on my feet and look towards the three men at the doorstep.

They are dressed in formals and what I could assume by their appearance is that these guys are just off from their work and probably my neighbor's friends. No wonder they reacted so wildly...

Well, it's awkward now. They are standing like statues, neither of them moving or even blinking. "What are you guys doing here??" My neighbor cracks the silence and those guys start to howl and make teasing sounds. Oh, they misunderstood the scene!

"So this is our sister-in-law," A guy in a blue shirt, black pants; messed up spiky hair; a wide smile, and dashing by outer look shakes my hand forcefully.

He introduces himself as Kiran and I smile at him, quite gracelessly.

"Kuyili...get back to your apartment," at my neighbor's loud voice, I withdraw my hands from the guy. "Oh, cool man. I'm not touching her, fine?" Kiran backs off from me and raises his hands in the air.

"Sister, I'm Vinay and the other one is Ashok. We are Vishwa's friends," The decent-looking one with a bit of innocence on his countenance expresses and I smile as I shake my hands with him.

"You guys are dating?" The guy in the sky blue shirt, Ashok questions directly to me, and I immediately bob my head in a no. "No, we aren't!" My neighbor and I say simultaneously which causes everyone's enthusiasm and energy to deteriorate...

"Right, but what happened to your head??" Vinay Anna (brother) asks my neighbor who gives me a quick glance before mustering up a lie.

"I slipped and had my head hit the counter. Wouldn't be able to attend office for a few days," his friends drag an 'O' and abruptly stands quiet as though they are about to do something...

"Sister, do take good care of our friend,"

"Yes please, he doesn't have anyone other than us, but unfortunately, we can't be with him every second of the day to look after him,"

"So please sister, be with him and help him,"

How caring...my neighbor is lucky to have such friends. But their words seemed to have some deeper meanings. What do they mean by he doesn't have anyone other than them? What about his parents? Wouldn't they come here or wouldn't he go there in situations like this?

"Kuyili..." I avert my eyes towards my neighbor who looks dead serious at the moment. He ushers me to go and I nod at him before doing so. I will go back there after cooking something for him...

____________________________