31

Kuyili

"Why are you being like this, talk Kuyilu," Aravind Anna taps my cheek but I remain unresponsive. My face have been puffed due to my profuse crying throughout the travel. We arrived at our native in the evening and Father didn't speak a word to anyone regarding our sudden return.

On the other hand, I had silently walked to my room and sat on the bed. I cannot process anything that happened. Everything occurred so rapidly. One second, I was laying next to Vishwa, and the next, I was pulled along with my father, against my will, and was now brought to my house...far away from him.

Father didn't even let me speak to Vishwa through the mobile. He snatched away my phone and disconnected the call when Vishwa contacted me.

I don't know his number by heart. I've no means to contact him now. I left him all alone there...

"What has happened to you both? He's sitting there in rage and you seem traumatized, what is wrong with you both?" Arun Anna presses, clutching my shoulder and slightly shaking me.

"Chithappa, please open up!" (Father's younger brother is referred to as Chithappa) Arun Anna goes out of the room and pleads to my father, fed up by our quietude. But upon getting no reply, he again comes inside and perches beside me, frustrated.

"Dai, sollu, ennachu?" (Tell, what happened?) Aravind Anna asks me in a mellow tone, staring into my eyes with concern. At his question, my heart seems to break again, pushing tears out of my eyes as a result. Anna brushes my hair and hugs me to his chest, permitting me to cry.

"Anna..." I call between my cries and he pulls back, watching my disorganized self with sympathy.

"Ennada aachu...aen ipd azhra?" (What happened? Why are you weeping like this?) he questions further softly and I try to control my tears as I speak up. "Vishwa, he's our neighbor, Anna, I love him," heeding my words, Aravind Anna's eyes go a bit wide before he caresses my head again as more tears stream down my eyes.

Arun Anna who was next to me reacts after a few seconds, "Love ah!? Now it's understandable why Chithappa appears so indignant. But it's alright, don't waste your tears Kuyil. We can convince him...If he's a good guy, then we can talk with his parents and marry you off to him. Tell me, what's his occupation?" Anna's positive attitude brings a bit of light to my darkened mood.

"He's working in an MNC company Anna. His native is Theni and he's twenty-nine years old. And he's a nice person, " I say innocuously while reckoning about Vishwa.

"Twenty-nine? You are just twenty Kuyil. The age gap is too much," Aravind Anna comments with his brows furrowed in displeasure.

"...what age gap? What are you talking about?" My periyamma and grandma stand at the entrance, with confusion etched on their faces. Both of them tried to make us speak when we came here but after receiving zero response, they retreated. Periyappa is not home yet...

Grandma will hit me If she knows that I love someone. And Periyamma, she will probably look down on me.

"She's in love with someone," Arun Anna attests casually and looks back at me. "Be bold Kuyil, loving someone is not a sin," I peer at him thankfully but before I can say another word, Grandma yells, "What did you say!?" She's scary. I cling to my brothers, frightened by the expression on her face.

"I said she's in love with someone," Arun Anna speaks courageously to Grandma whereas she shifts her gaze to me, furiously. "Is that true!?" She queries and I nod, immediately earning a tight slap from her. She didn't stop with that and attempted to hit me again, but Aravind Anna held her back.

"Paati! (grandma)" Her fierce eyes shuffle from me and she storms outside the room, yelling at my Father loudly. "This is why I told you to marry her off early on!" I gulp, feeling terrified of the things transpiring around me.

"Paati, stop overreacting. If she loves someone, it's our responsibility to marry her off to him. Do not make it a big deal!" Aravind Anna follows her outside and states which brings a little peace to my heart.

All the while, Periyamma stands silently, watching the drama unfold with a stoic face. I can't figure out what is it that she's thinking...

"Marry her off to him? Would you be okay with marrying your sister off to a divorced man who is living all alone in an apartment!?" My father finally opens his mouth, causing my family to gasp at the new information.

Arun Anna snaps his head to me, impliedly asking me If what he said was true. I nod my head at him.

"Kadavulae..(Oh god)" Periyamma fixes her astounded eyes at me. "How did you love him Kuyil? Did he manipulate you or something?" Periyamma asks in disbelief.

"No, he didn't! He's a genuinely good person and I love him Periyamma. Yes, he's a divorced man...so what? How could he take accountability for his ex-wife's cheating? It's not his fault that she betrayed him. He deserves-"

"Aranchuduvaen innoru vaartha pesunaena," (Another word and I'll slap you!) Appa shouts, prompting my body to shiver at his eerie tone.

I feel vulnerable.

Even my brothers who initially supported me now maintained silence. "Anna," I squeeze Arun Anna's hand, with faith over him.

But he stood up, retracting his hands from me, demolishing the bit of hope that I had.

Everyone stood against me...looked at me as If I'd murdered someone. I gritted my teeth, unable to bear this any longer, and erupted.

"Berate me all you want! Hit me all you want! But I'll marry him! Only him!" Appa angrily marched towards me and slapped me with such brutal force that I fell against the bed, numbly. That hurts...

"Chithappa!! stop!" I heed my brothers defending me and as I tried to emerge, a stinging pain shot through my head, compelling me to black out.

_________________________