Oskar - Cloudcroft

In the realm of my dreams, I inhabited another existence entirely.

Draped in an antiquated Greek tunic that billowed too much in precarious places and adorned with laced leather sandals, I traversed a landscape of fantasy.

The skin of the Nemean Lion hung around my shoulders like a regal cape, and a girl clutched tightly in my hand, pulling me onward.

"Quickly!" she urged, her voice laced with fear. The night concealed her features, rendering her face indistinct, yet the urgency in her words was palpable. "He will find us!"

Beneath a sky ablaze with myriad stars, we sprinted through towering grass, the air filled with the intoxicating aroma of countless flowers.

The surroundings resembled a breathtaking garden, yet the girl guided me with a sense of impending doom.

"I'm not afraid," I asserted, attempting to reassure her.

"You should be!" she countered, tugging me forward.

Her dark hair cascaded down her back, and her silk robes shimmered faintly in the starlight.

We ascended a hillside together, seeking refuge behind a thorn bush. Our breaths synchronized in heavy beats. The tranquility of the garden clashed with the girl's anxiety, and an unexplained strength surged within me.

"There's no need to flee," I declared, my voice resonating with newfound confidence. "I've conquered a thousand monsters with my bare hands."

The girl's response was unexpectedly hurtful. "Not this one. Ladon is too powerful. You must circumvent him, ascend the mountain to my father. It's the only way."

Her concern struck a chord, her unexpected care leaving me perplexed. "I don't trust your father," I admitted.

"You shouldn't," she conceded. "You'll need to outwit him. But attempting to claim the prize directly is perilous. You will perish."

A chuckle escaped me. "Then why not lend me your assistance, lovely one?"

"I... I am afraid. Ladon would thwart me. My sisters, if they discovered, would disown me."

"If that's the case," I stood up, rubbing my hands together, "there's no other choice."

"Wait," the girl interjected.

A palpable struggle flickered across her features.

Then, trembling fingers, she plucked a lengthy white brooch from her hair.

"If you must confront him, take this. My mother, Pleione, bestowed it upon me. She was a daughter of the ocean, and within it lies the power of the sea. My enduring power."

The girl breathed gently upon the pin, causing it to emit a faint glow.

In the starlight, it shone like polished abalone.

"Accept it," she urged. "Forge it into a weapon."

I chuckled sceptically. "A hairpin? How will this vanquish Ladon, fair one?"

"It may not," she conceded. "But it's all I can offer if you insist on your obstinacy."

Her words tugged at my emotions. Bending down, I accepted the hairpin, and as I did, it transformed, growing longer and heavier until it became a familiar bronze sword.

"Nicely balanced," I remarked. "Though I usually prefer my bare hands. What shall I name this blade?"

"Anaklusmos," the girl said with a hint of sorrow. "The current that takes one by surprise. And before you know it, you have been swept out to sea."