Zoe - Bronze Angels

The café bustled with excited kids savouring the highlight of the tour—the famous dam lunch. Thalia, Grover and I were settling in with our plates filled.

"We have to go," Percy suddenly appeared,  panting. "Right now!"

"But we just got our burritos!" Thalia protested.

I stood up and muttered, "Skubala," an Ancient Greek curse. "He's right! Look."

The café's windows encircled the observation floor, providing a stunning panoramic view of the skeletal army advancing to annihilate us.

Two figures blocked the east side of the dam road, sealing the path to Arizona, while three others guarded the west, securing Nevada. Each of them brandished batons and pistols.

However, our more immediate threat emerged much closer. The three skeletal warriors who had pursued me in the turbine room now ascended the stairs, spotted us from across the cafeteria, and clattered their teeth menacingly.

"Elevator!" Grover exclaimed.

We sprinted in that direction, but the doors opened with a pleasant ding, revealing three more warriors.

Every warrior was present, except for the one Bianca had incinerated in New Mexico.

We found ourselves surrounded.

In a stroke of genius that only Grover could muster, he shouted, "Burrito fight!" and hurled his Guacamole Grande at the nearest skeleton.

If you've never experienced a flying burrito, consider yourself fortunate. As a lethal projectile, it ranks alongside grenades and cannonballs. Grover's lunch struck the skeleton, sending its skull flying off its shoulders.

I can't say what the other café patrons witnessed, but pandemonium ensued as they joined the chaos, hurling burritos, baskets of chips, and sodas at each other with wild abandon, their shrieks and screams filling the air.

The skeletons futilely tried to steady their guns amidst the airborne chaos of bodies, food, and drinks.

Amidst the pandemonium, Thalia and Percy swiftly took down the other two skeletons on the stairs, sending them crashing into the condiment table. As we raced downstairs, Guacamole Grandes whizzed past our heads.

"What's our plan?" Grover asked when we burst outside.

I had no immediate answer.

The warriors on the road were closing in from both directions. We sprinted across the street to the pavilion adorned with winged bronze statues, unwittingly putting our backs against the mountain.

The skeletons advanced, forming a crescent around us, joined by their cafe comrades. One was still reattaching its skull, another was stained with ketchup and mustard, and two more had displeased burritos wedged in their rib cages. They drew batons and moved forward.

"Four against eleven," I murmured. "And they're invincible."

"It's been a pleasure adventuring with you all," Grover quivered.

"Whoa," Percy suddenly exclaimed. "Their toes do shine."

"Percy!" Thalia snapped. "This is hardly the time."

Yet, I couldn't help but fixate on the two colossal bronze figures with blade-like wings towering above. Their weathered brown bodies contrasted sharply with their gleaming toes, polished by countless touches for good luck.

Good luck.

Zeus's blessing.

I pondered the possibility. "Thalia," I urged, "pray to your father."