Zoe - Frozen

We descended toward Quebec City, and the towering Château Frontenac came into view, its copper-green roofs gleaming in the cold light of dawn. The castle-like structure stood on a hilltop overlooking the St. Lawrence River, its spires reaching into the sky like frozen fingers. It was majestic, ancient, and imposing—the perfect place for the throne of Boreas, the North Wind. I could almost feel the chill seeping into my bones just looking at it. This was where Khione had most likely taken Oskar.

Butch landed the chariot in a quiet courtyard nearby, hidden from view behind a thick cluster of trees. The cold air stung my face as we dismounted, but it didn't bother me much. The biting cold was a familiar sensation, one I could handle. I adjusted my bow over my shoulder as Annabeth walked beside me.

"Why do you think Khione took him?" she asked, her voice low and cautious. "To stall us?"

I kept my eyes ahead, scanning the grand silhouette of Château Frontenac. Its icy exterior was almost mocking in its beauty as if it housed more secrets than any of us could handle.

"That, and the fact that she fancied him," I said flatly, though a flicker of something sharp-edged my words. I tried not to let it show.

Annabeth's eyebrows shot up, and she gave me a sidelong glance, clearly trying to read my expression. "Oh," she murmured, her tone cautious. She was gauging how I felt, waiting for some crack in my armour. But I was good at hiding my emotions. I'd been doing it for centuries since my days with the Hunters. There was no way I'd let anyone see how much this bothered me.

Of course, I was jealous. Khione wasn't just any goddess; she was stunning, icy, and powerful in ways mortals and demigods couldn't quite understand. But more than that, she was dangerous. The kind of danger that didn't play fair. Oskar wouldn't fall for her charms—at least, I told myself that. He was too intelligent, too loyal. Still, the thought of her fawning over him, even momentarily, churned my stomach. The way she had clung to him, whispered in his ear before vanishing—it made my blood boil.

But I couldn't let myself linger on that. Khione was twisted, her beauty hiding something cruel beneath the surface. Oskar knew that, didn't he? He wouldn't fall for her games. He'd be focused on getting away, finding his way back. He wouldn't even give her the time of day. I didn't want to think otherwise.

Still, it didn't sit well with me. The idea of someone like Khione having her hands on Oskar, even for a moment, felt like a violation. And the worst part? She had the power to make things difficult. She could twist his mind and manipulate him in ways I couldn't anticipate. That's what terrified me.

I kept walking, my pace steady and determined, until we stood at the gates of Château Frontenac. The wind howled around us, and for a brief moment, I wondered if Boreas or Khione were watching us right now, waiting to see how we would proceed.

Annabeth stepped closer, her presence reassuring.

I could feel her eyes waiting for me to give something away. But I couldn't afford to show weakness now. Oskar needed me, and I wasn't about to let some goddess of snow take him from me.

The interior of Château Frontenac was grand and imposing, with a cold elegance that made the place feel like it had been frozen in time. The walls were adorned with tapestries of winter scenes: snow-covered mountains, icy rivers, and storms raging over forests. The air inside the palace was frigid, every breath visible before us.

Massive chandeliers hung from the ceiling, each crystal glinting with the sharpness of ice. The floors were made of polished marble, so cold you could feel it through the soles of your shoes. The torches along the walls burned with an eerie blue flame, casting long shadows across the halls. Despite the grandeur, the place felt lifeless, like it was suspended between worlds. And maybe it was.