Oskar - Siege of Camp Half-Blood

It was the most extensive military operation I'd ever witnessed at camp. Every soul gathered in the clearing, clad in full battle gear, but this wasn't for a mere game of capturing the flag. The Hephaestus cabin had laid out an array of traps around the Labyrinth's entrance—razor wire, fiery pits, and rows of sharpened stakes poised for defence. Beckendorf manned two catapults, massive as pickup trucks, aimed squarely at Zeus's Fist. The Ares cabin formed the front line, drilling in a tight phalanx formation with Clarisse barking orders. Cabins of Apollo and Hermes lurked in the woods, bows at the ready, some perched high in the trees. Even the dryads wielded bows, while satyrs patrolled armed with wooden clubs and bark shields.

Annabeth joined her fellow Athenians, who had erected a command tent adorned with a grey banner bearing an owl emblem. The presence of the Hunters of Artemis among us was unexpected, yet not entirely surprising. I overheard intense discussions between Zoe, Thalia, Annabeth, and Malcolm as I passed. The arrival of the four hunters struck me as a gesture of support from the goddess Artemis, albeit indirectly. It seemed she sought to aid us in whatever capacity she could, even without her physical presence.

Argus, our security chief, stood sentinel at the entrance. Aphrodite's offspring dashed about, straightening armour and offering to untangle horsehair plumes. Even the children of Dionysus found purpose; the god himself was still absent, but his twins distributed refreshments to the warriors.

Despite the seemingly formidable setup, Chiron muttered, "It's insufficient."

Percy, Chiron and I stood observing the preparations around us.

I recalled the horrors of the Labyrinth, the monsters in Antaeus's arena, and the daunting power of Kronos atop Mount Tam. My heart sank. Chiron was right, yet this was the best we could assemble. I yearned for Dionysus's presence for once, though I doubted his ability to intervene even if he were here. In matters of war, gods were forbidden direct interference—a rule the Titans disregarded.

At the clearing's edge, Grover spoke with Juniper, recounting our tale. Tears welled in her green eyes as he relayed the news of Pan's fate. Tyson assisted the Hephaestus campers in fortifying the defences, stacking boulders by the catapults for ammunition.

"Stay close, both of you," Chiron instructed. "When the battle commences, remain vigilant. We'll need you where reinforcements are most needed."

"We saw Kronos," Percy uttered, still reeling from the revelation. "We stared directly into his eyes. It was Luke... but it wasn't."

Chiron traced his fingers along his bowstring thoughtfully. "I imagine they were golden, his eyes. And in his presence, time seemed to lose its solidity."

"How could he possess a mortal body?"

"I cannot say, Percy. Gods have taken mortal forms throughout history, but to fully inhabit one... to blend the divine with the mortal. I cannot comprehend how this could occur without Luke's body being consumed."

"Kronos mentioned his vessel was prepared."

"I dread to contemplate what that entails. Yet, perhaps it serves to limit Kronos's power. For now, he is bound to a human form. It constrains him. Hopefully, it also restrains him."

"Chiron, if he leads the assault—"

"I doubt it, my boy. If he were near, I would sense his approach. Undoubtedly, it was his intention, but I believe you hindered him when you collapsed his throne room upon him." He regarded me sternly. "Your brother."

"I'm sorry, Chiron. I should have informed you, but I had to look for him and asked the others not to say anything."

Chiron raised his hand, cutting me off. "I understand your motives, Oskar. You felt responsible. You sought to shield your brother from any harm. But, my boy, to endure this conflict, we must trust each other."