Percy - A Plan in Motion

A FEW HOURS EARLIER

Heading toward the arena to speak with Oskar, Percy found it vacant upon arrival. Instead, Mrs. O'Leary greeted him with enthusiasm, her tail wagging eagerly at the sight of him.

Before long, the canine cacophony erupted—a noise rivalling the blast of an artillery gun—as if she demanded a stroll. Her restroom visit within the arena didn't amuse the other campers; it led to more than one unfortunate slip-and-slide incident. 

Thus, Percy unlatched the arena gates, and she darted straight toward the woods.

He jogged after her, unconcerned about her lead. Nothing in the woods posed a threat to Mrs. O'Leary. Even dragons and giant scorpions fled at her approach.

Upon locating her, he discovered she wasn't relieving herself but stood in a familiar clearing where the Council of Cloven Elders had once tried Grover. The area appeared worse for wear, with yellowed grass and leafless topiary thrones. However, the sight that caught his attention was the peculiar trio in the centre: Juniper the tree nymph, Nico di Angelo, and a considerably aged, rotund satyr.

Percy noted the uncanny similarities between Nico and Oskar, a revelation that surprised him. Now it was unmistakable; Nico and Oskar were undoubtedly related. However, differences between them were apparent. While Oskar possessed an easygoing demeanour and a contagious smile, Nico seemed perpetually burdened by sorrow, his posture slouched. Oskar exuded confidence, standing tall and assured, while Nico appeared fragile, almost translucent in his paleness. Unlike Oskar, who maintained a healthy complexion despite his paleness, Nico's pallor hinted at a deeper fragility, almost as if he were on the brink of fading away.

Acknowledging Percy with a nod, Nico petted Mrs O'Leary, who sniffed around him with great interest. Given his lineage as the son of Hades, he likely frequented locations welcoming hellhounds.

However, the elderly satyr appeared far from pleased. "What in Tartarus is this underworld creature doing in my forest?" He gesticulated wildly, trotting on hooves as if the grass beneath him scorched. "You, Percy Jackson! Is this your beast?"

Apologizing to Leneus, Percy affirmed, "That's your name, correct?"

Rolling his eyes, the satyr—a dust-bunny grey figure with a spiderweb between his horns and a formidable belly—replied, "Of course, I'm Leneus. Don't tell me you've already forgotten a member of the Council. Now, call off your beast!"

"BARK!" Mrs. O'Leary chimed happily.

The old satyr gulped. "Make it go away! Juniper, I won't aid you under these circumstances!"

Turning to Percy, Juniper, adorned in a purple gossamer dress with an elfin face, though stained with green from tear-induced chlorophyll, sought assistance.

"Percy," she sniffled, her voice heavy with emotion. "I was just asking about Grover. I know something's happened. He wouldn't stay gone this long if he wasn't in trouble. I was hoping that Leneus—"

"I told you!" the satyr protested, his voice tinged with frustration. "You are better off without that traitor."

Juniper stamped her foot in defiance. "He is not a traitor! He's the bravest satyr ever, and I want to know where he is!"

"BARK!"

Leneus's knees began to knock together nervously. "I . . . I won't answer questions with this hellhound sniffing my tail!"

Nico suppressed a chuckle, trying to maintain his composure. "I'll walk the dog," he volunteered.

With a whistle, Mrs O'Leary bounded after him to the far end of the grove.