Oskar - Pig Cowboys

Thalia and I managed to stay ahead of the pursuing boar by running uphill, deftly weaving through trees while the massive creature struggled to navigate the steep terrain. On the other side of the hill, I spotted an old stretch of train tracks partially buried in snow.

"This way," I urged, grabbing Thalia's arm.

We sprinted along the rails as the boar roared behind us, slipping and sliding on the uneven ground.

Its hooves were ill-suited for such a pursuit, much to our advantage.

In the distance, I saw a covered tunnel.

Beyond it, an aged trestle bridge spanned a snow-filled gorge.

A daring idea crossed my mind.

"Follow me!"

Thalia slowed down, her hesitation palpable, but I pulled her along, urging her to keep pace. Behind us, the colossal pig continued its destructive path, toppling pine trees and crushing boulders beneath its hooves.

Entering the tunnel, we emerged on the other side, only to be met with Thalia's horrified scream.

At the bridge's edge, the mountain dropped into a snow-filled gorge approximately seventy feet below.

The boar was hot on our heels.

"Come on!" I urged Thalia. "It'll hold our weight, probably."

"I can't!" Thalia yelled, her eyes wide with fear.

The boar crashed into the covered tunnel, charging toward us at full speed.

"Now!" I yelled at Thalia.

She glanced down, swallowing hard. I could see the fear etched on her face, turning her almost as pale as ice. There was no time to dwell on it; the boar was charging through the tunnel directly at us.

Implementing Plan B, I tackled Thalia, sending us both sideways off the bridge's edge and into the side of the mountain.

Sliding on Aegis like a makeshift snowboard, we careened over rocks, mud, and snow, hurtling downhill.

The boar, unable to make such a quick turn, charged onto the narrow trestle, which buckled under its immense weight.

With a mighty squeal, the monstrous creature free-fell into the gorge, landing in a snowdrift with a resounding POOOOOF!

Thalia and I skidded to a stop, both of us breathing heavily.

I was cut and bleeding while Thalia sported pine needles in her hair.

Next to us, the wild boar struggled and squealed, wedged firmly in the snow like Styrofoam packing.

Although it appeared uninjured, it was effectively immobilized.

I turned to Thalia. "You're afraid of heights."

Now that we had safely descended the mountain, Thalia's eyes reverted to their usual angry look.

"Don't be stupid."

"That explains why you freaked out on Apollo's bus. Why didn't you want to talk about it?"

She took a deep breath, then brushed the pine needles out of her hair. "If you tell anyone, I swear—"

"No, no," I said. "That's cool. It's just... the daughter of Zeus, the Lord of the Sky, afraid of heights?"

She was about to knock me into the snow when, above us, Grover's voice called, "Helloooooo?"

"Down here!" I shouted.