Percy - Setting Off

Just as dawn painted the sky with gold and pink hues, the quest group members convened at Zeus's Fist. Percy had meticulously prepared his knapsack, ensuring it contained essentials like a thermos of nectar, a baggie of ambrosia, a bedroll, rope, spare clothes, flashlights, and an abundance of batteries. Riptide was snug in his pocket, while the magical shield/wristwatch crafted by Tyson adorned his wrist.

The morning was pristine. The remnants of fog dissipated, leaving behind a clear blue sky. While other campers engaged in their daily lessons and activities, Percy and his companions were about to embark on an underground journey.

Juniper and Grover lingered at the fringes of the group. Despite her tear-stained cheeks, Juniper endeavoured to maintain composure for Grover's sake. She fussed over his appearance, adjusting his rasta cap and removing stray goat fur from his shirt. In preparation for the unknown challenges ahead, Grover disguised his satyr features beneath human attire, concealing his horns under the cap and wearing jeans, fake feet, and sneakers to conceal his goat legs.

Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary joined the gathering, accompanied by other campers who had come to bid them farewell. Despite the well wishes, an undercurrent of tension pervaded the atmosphere. Tents were erected near the rocks for guard duty while Beckendorf and his siblings toiled on defensive measures. Chiron deemed station guards at the Labyrinth exit necessary as a precautionary measure.

Annabeth conducted a final inspection of her supplies. 

When Percy and Tyson approached, she noticed Percy's exhausted appearance.

"Percy, you look terrible," she remarked.

"He killed the water fountain last night," Tyson disclosed.

"What?" Annabeth's eyebrows shot up in confusion.

Before Percy could elaborate, Chiron approached, attempting to exude optimism despite his underlying apprehension.

"Well, it appears you are ready!" he declared.

Sensing Chiron's unease, Percy felt compelled to share his concerns. With a nod toward the woods, he motioned for Chiron to follow, leading them out of the others' earshot.

"Last night," Percy began, recounting his dream about Luke and Kronos. 

The weight of the news visibly burdened Chiron.

"I feared this," Chiron confessed. "Against my father, Kronos, we would stand no chance in a fight."

Though Chiron rarely acknowledged his lineage to Kronos, the gravity of the situation demanded honesty.

"Do you know what he meant about a bargain?" Percy inquired.

"I am not sure," Chiron admitted. "But, Percy, you must beware. Kronos has ways of twisting others to his will."

"Not anyone," Percy interjected firmly.

Chiron managed a weary smile. "No. Perhaps not anyone. But, Percy, you must remain vigilant. Kronos may have ulterior motives for seeking Daedalus beyond mere passage through the maze."

"What else would he want?" Percy wondered aloud.

"Something Annabeth and I have discussed," Chiron revealed. "Do you recall what you told me about your first encounter aboard the Princess Andromeda, mentioning the golden coffin?"

Percy nodded, recalling Luke's plans to resurrect Kronos piece by piece.

"And what did Luke say they would do once Kronos had fully returned?" Chiron prompted.

A shiver ran down Percy's spine. "He said they would fashion Kronos a new body worthy of the forges of Hephaestus."

"Indeed," Chiron mused. "Daedalus was the world's greatest inventor. He created the Labyrinth, but much more. Automatons, thinking machines...What if Kronos wishes Daedalus to make him a new form?"