Zoe - Daedalus' Long-Awaited Death

Smoke wisped from Nico's black attire, and his hands were clenched tightly, causing the grass surrounding him to wither and turn yellow.

Carefully, Oskar turned him over, pressing his ear against his chest. 

"Fetch some nectar!" Oskar urgently called out.

An Ares camper limped over, offering a canteen. Oskar poured some of the magical liquid into Nico's mouth. He coughed and sputtered, his eyelids fluttering open.

"Can you speak?" Oskar's voice carried urgency as he leaned in to examine his brother's condition. His brow furrowed with concern. "What happened?"

Nico's voice trembled, his breath still laboured. "I tried... to summon more reinforcements," he managed to say, his words strained with effort.

Oskar's hand instinctively reached out, his fingers pressing gently against Nico's chest. I could see the subtle glow of his Vitakinesis, the power coursing through him as he sought to ease his brother's suffering. But Nico's response was swift, a sharp recoil as he swatted away Oskar's hand.

"Don't waste your energy," he insisted firmly, his voice carrying a note of defiance despite the visible tremor in his form. "I'm fine."

Though his words were resolute, the strain in his voice betrayed the pain he undoubtedly endured, which he masked with stoicism.

"You're an idiot!" Oskar shouted, "What were you thinking? I barely managed to do it with you helping me."

"Oskar," Annabeth interjected softly, her gaze shifted between the two brothers.

Oskar's jaw tensed, and he calmed himself; a little; he pointed at Nico angrily, "When I say rest, you fucking rest. Don't be a bloody hero."

"Fuck you," Nico said weakly.

"Fuck you too." Oskar snapped back, knelt, assisted him so Nico sat up, and offered him more nectar, which Nico took without hesitation.

"Boys," Annabeth said exasperatedly.

Nico gazed at us with a hint of confusion as if struggling to recall our identities; his focus shifted behind me.

"Daedalus," he rasped.

"Yes, my boy," the inventor replied. "I made a grave error. I've come to rectify it."

Despite a few scratches oozing golden oil, Daedalus appeared in better condition than most of us. His automaton body healed rapidly. Mrs O'Leary loomed behind him, tending to his wounds with her tongue, causing his hair to stand oddly. Briares stood nearby, surrounded by impressed campers and satyrs, signing autographs on various items.

"I encountered the Hundred-Handed One as I traversed the maze," Daedalus explained. "It seems we shared the same intention—to aid. Lost, we found each other. We both seek to make amends."

"Hooray!" Tyson exclaimed, bouncing with excitement. "Briares! I knew you'd come!"

"I was uncertain," the Hundred-Handed One admitted. "But you reminded me of my purpose, Cyclops. You are the true hero."

Tyson blushed, and Percy patted him on the back. "I've known that for a while," he affirmed. "But, Daedalus... the Titan army remains below. Even without the string, they'll return—sooner or later, with Kronos at their helm."

Daedalus sheathed his sword. "You're correct. As long as the Labyrinth exists, your enemies can exploit it. That's why the Labyrinth must end."

Annabeth stared at him. "But you said the Labyrinth is linked to your life force! As long as you're alive—"